Graduale Simplex setting for an Ordination Mass
  • What mass setting from the Graduale Simplex should be used for the ordination mass of a priest/deacon? In professione religiosa? There is no specific mass for sacred orders...
  • There is no specific mass for sacred orders or religious profession in the Graduale Simplex because this gradual was designed for use in churches that are not cathedrals (the cover says, "In usum minor ecclesiarum").

That said, the antiphons and psalms for religious profession are listed on page 385 of the Graduale Simplex.

I made a comparison between the Gradual Romanum and the Graduale Simplex for ordinations. I attach this comparison.

As far as Mass settings in the Graduale Simplex are concerned, there are no suites as such, even though there is a loose grouping labeled I, II, III, IV, and V. One has the freedom to mix and match whatever Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei you wish to use.

If I can help any further, please don't hesitate to contact me.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Chaswjd
    You could perhaps supplement anything you cannot find with the Votive mass for the Holy Spirit.
  • a_f_hawkins
    The Solesmes monks who constructed selected GS would not have bothered with this rite for the reasons given by Paul F Ford above. They would have drawn on their familiarity with the repertoire to come up with suitable items.I lack such knowledge, but I suggest looking at the Antiphonale Synopticum for references to the antiphons and their biblical sources for inspiration. Thus the Introit Protector noster is Ps 83(V):, looking for that psalm I find http://gregorianik.uni-regensburg.de/an/#id/1549 so one could suggest that as the antiphon with verses including v10 Protector noster.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • The chants for the Vesting with the Stole and Chasuble/Dalmatic and and the Fraternal kiss are in the Simplex. Should check, but I'm in a hurry right now...