USCCB-authorized provisional responsorial psalms from Abbey Psalms & Canticles
  • MarkB
    A pdf of responsorial psalm texts using the current Lectionary responses with verses from The Abbey Psalms and Canticles translation has been released. The psalms are arranged and formatted for use during the liturgical year. These psalm texts are approved now for liturgical use. It would be easy to sing them set to psalm tones by pointing the provided texts.

Download the pdf of the psalm collection at the following link:

https://secretariat89.tumblr.com/post/705192939363696640/new-lectionary-could-be-here-as-early-as-2027
  • At one point, I had begun composing my new settings according to the new translation, but I ceased when we purchased new pew missals which contained the current translation in them. I wanted my settings to match what the PiPs were holding in their hands. Couple that with the fact that this is all so nebulous, and it could easily be a decade before anything official happens... it hardly seems worth jumping ship at this point—particularly considering that the antiphons will very likely be revised, separately from the verse texts. This is all so asinine as to make one's head spin.

Also, I'll warn you that a few of the translations are very different from those to which we are currently accustomed (for better or worse) so it is jarring in places.
    Thanked by 1Joseph Michael
  • Frankly, I don’t see anything in this translation that represents such a great improvement on what we have, to justify the effort spent to replace the existing one. Much of what we have seems to have more (which should not be confused with “much”) poetic resonance than what I’m reading here.

Also, apparently Heaven forfend the modern Catholic have the barest shot at learning anything “by heart”...
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    "The | Lord pro- | tects the | stranger" is what I already have us sing in lieu of "the Lord protects strangers." I'd most appreciate effort spent on new Responds, though.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • davido
    I think it’s ridiculous to use the Grail or anything based on it at all. It was a goofy, kooky idea to begin with that necessitated inventing a completely new way of singing the psalms because the old musical ways don’t work with the Grail’s stunted phraseology.
  • I thought it was the other way around: the Grail was devised to fit with Gelinau’s method of responsorial psalmody?
  • Why are we still talking about Gelineau and his weird ideas? They’re hard to sing and fussy, and just seem different to be different.
  • davido
    My understanding is the the Grail was written to recreate the rhythmic patterns of the Hebrew psalms in French. Gelineau, being part of the translation team, also composed music to which the Grail could be sung.

Somebody thought it was a great enough idea, that they then ported the whole mess over into English.

It is also my understanding that the Latin psalter renders the psalms in prose, without reference to the meter of the Hebrew. Traditional English versions follow this practice. and this all the historic music was conceived for this sort of text. Actually, since western music developed around these sort of psalter translations, you could almost say that historic music needs prose psalmody, and that a novel psalter needs novel music.

The whole thing goes well with 20th century ideas on the devolution of art and the idea that new art must be brand new, from whole cloth.
  • Even more modern than Different to Be Different, they are Different In Order To Be Correct In An Esoteric Way Mere Mortals Couldn’t Possibly Comprehend.
  • francis
    Nihil… that is poetic and worthy to be set as an a cappella anthem to be sung at every NOM as a responsorial meditation.
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • Haha!
  • a_f_hawkins
    I don't understand this desire for one single all-purpose psalm translation. We have never had that in Latin. The Graduale is still using translations that pre-date the Vulgate, while versions in the Breviary have been changed often.