Praetorius, "Quem Pastores" ad 11 from the Puericinium of 1621, arranged for SATB Choir [RECORDING!]
  • This will also work with the "Capella fidicinia" parts in the free edition by Ross Jallo on CPDL.

The extensive additional text for the choir is reduced to a single refrain, the additional treble parts are only hinted at twice in order to improve the voicing of a chord -- in short, this is a practical edition for everyday use without excessive practice.

Hopefully someone else finds it useful! I've always loved this setting, and prefer it to Praetorius' own SATB setting.
  • Here is a recording of this arrangement from this year at Midnight Mass (using the Jallo "Capella fidicinia" parts for the string players, and my edition for the singers). This made my heart dance.
  • Absolutely lovely.
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • Really nice!
    Your performance reminded me of Paul McCreesh's CD of Christmas day somewhere in renaissance Germany.
    A very Lutheran, and appropriately joyous and rhythmically driven performance!
    In short it is jocund, heartwarming - and fun!
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • Thank you both!

What a kind comment, Jackson -- that McCreesh recording is deeply embedded in my heart, and it was so enormously satisfying to get to sing this piece.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn