Agnus Dei : for SATB a cappella : COMPOSITION CHALLENGE : by Koerber
  • francis
    composed this morning, I am interested to see how you would treat this as SATB... I already have the harmony that I would compose in my mind, but you will probably expand my horizon.

(feel free to move the cantus to any vocal part.)

Vocal alone and Reduction PDF's attached.

Thank you!
  • stulte
    I might take a look after I finish a few other things.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I might look at it, too. But I'm not sure how I'd handle the nominal stress pattern: A-gnus DE-i qui TOL-lis pec-CA-ta MUN-di (2, 3, 3, 2, 2) in the duple meter context. The unstressed syllables "qui" and "-lis" fall on the strong 1st and 3rd beats of 4/4, while "tol-" falls on the weak 2nd beat.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • ronkrisman
    @CHG, perhaps it's Latin as spoken by a French-speaker? BTW, I had the same reaction to the placement of word accents.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    OK

You have definitely changed my horizons! Perhaps this is better. My humble thanks.
  • TCJ
    I have an idea for it right now but no time for it. If I remember it (ha! That never works!) tomorrow, I'll take a shot at it.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • TCJ
    Here's a hurried attempt during part of my lunch break. It's not quite what I was thinking last night, but it'll have to do for now. I left the melody in the soprano because it kind of struck me as a congregation-friendly piece and they usually expect melody on top. Also, I'm lazy, so it was easier that way. It's not super-proof-read for parallel octaves or 5ths (or anything else, for that matter).
  • I think it's pretty!
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Someone posts a vocal line they wrote in the morning.

Another one posts a harmonization of it.

I freaking love this place.
  • I would also like to try it, but I have a lot on my plate right now. Perhaps later in the week...
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    TCJ

Nice. Very close to my own realization. It is cool to see that the melody actually somewhat dictates the harmonization.
  • francis
    John_F

This forum has been a haven and a respite for me since 2005... It has kept me sane in the increasingly insane world and time of iconoclasm in the Church. It is why so many of us keep coming back here to reverberate goodness, truth and beauty. Thanks for being here.
  • TCJ
    TCJ

Nice. Very close to my own realization. It is cool to see that the melody actually somewhat dictates the harmonization.

I tried to go somewhere else with it, but, yes, the melody just kept tugging that way.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    BTW...This is the third movement of the Missa Brevis Regina which I have composed for the schola and congregation of the Regina Academy.

REFLECTION: Although the second version has more proper stress syllables, I still rather like the 1st version with the simpler pattern of quarter beats to syllables. Because it is even all the way through, it is possible to stress every syllable in a rendition such as this.
  • francis
    another movement... Sanctus

harmonies welcome!

(NOTE: Sabaoth is spelled incorrectly... will fix later)
  • stulte
    Here's my (quick) attempt at a harmonization.

Thanked by 1francis