• bhcordovabhcordova
    Veterans Day is coming up. What are your music plans?
  • (I don't plan the music at my parish, but...)
    when I was in an OF parish, one thing my pastor liked about me is that he didn't need to tell me that secular observances didn't get recognized in Mass.
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • TCJ
    Back when we had a school, the kids put on a Veterans Day program outside of Mass. For Mass, it falls on a Friday so I'm not involved. If I were, I'd ignore it.
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • No Mass for me, so no music.
    If there were, in my situation, it would be St. Martin, so those Propers.
    If I were in a different situation, like NO, and the boss said "Do this" I'd probably do a lot of Church Militant material. (Not Blessed Dead stuff; as my veteran wife (Army 1974-76) reminds people, that's what Memorial Day is for) I'd probably do "Onward Christian Soldiers" because it annoys the right people and has fallen way out of favor.

We'll probably be eating out at whatever restaurants have the best deals for veterans.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • it annoys the right people and has fallen way out of favor

had to chuckle
  • Liam
    it will also annoy Catholic traditionalists, of course, given its solid historical association with British Protestant missions.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam,

"It" must mean "Onward Christian Soldiers", not "Veterans Day" ?
  • Liam
    yes
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Inseparable in my mind with Androcles and the Lion.
    Thanked by 1WGS
  • I have set the carillon to play the hymns/anthems of EACH of the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces. One every ten minutes between 2:10 and 2:50 P.M.
    (The Space Force anthem remains, as yet, unwritten). ;-)

My little way of saying to the veterans in the parsh, "Thank you for your service"!

Gaudete in Domino Semper!
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • The Space Force anthem remains, as yet, unwritten)
    I know what I'm doing on my day off! (jk... or am I?)
    Thanked by 1tandrews
  • Get to work, maestro!

;-)

• Carol
    Okay, I clicked on davido's link expecting the Theme from Star Wars. It isn't that, but it is very mundane and derivative IMHO.
  • May I suggest (at least semi-seriously) that Somewhere over the rainbow from the Wizard of Oz would have been a better template?
  • Nah, I'd start with finding the composer of "Beyond Antares" from "Star Trek" (that hauntingly beautiful ballad Uhura would sing - I mean, c'mon, the emblem looks just like the Enterprise's arrowhead insignia!) and pair him with a John Philip Sousa-style conductor and let 'em rip - see what they come up with. ;-)

• francis
    Best Space force hymn

So, fa, mi, re, do, ti, te, le, so, so, fa, mi re, do, ti..,

That one from davido is more like big brother anthem than a service anthem
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    There is hymn was written by Alfred Joyce Kilmer, entitled, "Prayer of a Soldier in France", where Kilmer compares the journey of a soldier to Christ’s passion on the Cross. We can see these prayerful reflections throughout the hymn, "My rifle hand is stiff and numb, From Thy pierced palm red rivers come."

Alfred Kilmer was born in 1886 in New Brunswick, New Jersey. He attended Rutgers College and then Columbia University. He worked from 1909 to 1912 where for a short time he was salesman for Funk and Wagnall as an editor of their Standard Dictionary. Alfred Kilmer joined the Church of Rome in 1913.

He enlisted with the 7th Regiment a National Guard unit in New York and later transferred to the 165th Infantry of the famed Rainbow Division of the US Army during World War I. He quickly rose to the rank of Sergeant and was assigned to the Regimental Intelligence Staff as an observer in “No Man’s Land” and spent many harrowing nights gathering tactical information.

He was scouting for enemy machine guns near the river Ourcq (Battle of the Ourcq) when he was shot through the brain on July 30, 1918. He was 31. Alfred Kilmer was awarded by the French the prestigious Croix de Guerre (War Cross) for his bravery.

His poem was adapted to a hymn and composed by Carl G. L. Bloom. Carl Bloom composed several hymns including an Ave Maria, motets for benediction services and a number of organ preludes. This hymn appeared in the Pius X Hymnal of 1953.
    1903 x 2839 - 563K
  • Don - Isn’t this this the same poem which Kilmer (played by Jeffrey Lynn) is reciting as he goes into the trenches in The Fighting 69th?
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    @StimsonInRehab, I don't know. I'll have to look and see if that movie is streaming and watch it.
  • tomjaw
    We may not have Veterans day, but we do have Remembrance Sunday
    We had a Solemn High Requiem Mass today for the war dead..

Int.: Requiem aeternam, Missa Pro defunctis a 4 (Tomás Luis de Victoria)
    Kyr.: Missa Pro defunctis a 4 (Tomás Luis de Victoria)
    Grad.: Requiem aeternam, Missa Pro defunctis a 4 (Tomás Luis de Victoria)
    Tract: Absolve (Graduale Romanum 1924)
    Seq.: Dies Irae (Graduale Romanum 1924)
    Off.: Domine Jesu Christe, Missa Pro defunctis a 4 (Tomás Luis de Victoria)
    San.: Missa Pro defunctis a 4 (Tomás Luis de Victoria)
    Ben.: Missa Pro defunctis a 4 (Tomás Luis de Victoria)
    Agn.: Missa Pro defunctis a 4 (Tomás Luis de Victoria)
    Com.: Lux aeterna, Missa Pro defunctis a 4 (Tomás Luis de Victoria)
    Com. motet Chant responsory Congregati sunt Deus
    After Mass we had the Last post and Reveille played on trumpet, followed by the National Anthem.