Feast of St. John Henry Newman 2022
  • tomjaw
    This year has been the first year his feast has fallen on a Sunday. We have yet to find what rank of feast he would have for the E.F. in England, but we commemorated him at our Sunday Mass (The first collect was for St. John Henry Newman). Other places in England had an external solemnity.

Music.
    Asp.: mode VII
    INT.: Da pacem (Graduale Romanum 1924)
    KYR.: Missa Iste confessor (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
    GLO.: Missa Iste confessor (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
    GRAD.: Laetatus sum (Graduale Romanum 1924)
    ALL.: Timebunt gentes (Graduale Romanum 1924)
    CRD.: Missa Iste confessor (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
    OFF.:Sanctificavit Moyses (Graduale Romanum 1924)
    OFF. motet: Laudate Dominum, from the Vespers setting (Vesperae solennes de confessore) by Mozart.
    SAN.: Missa Iste confessor (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
    BEN.: Missa Iste confessor (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
    AGN.: Missa Iste confessor (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
    COM. motet: Ave Verum, setting by Josquin des Prez
    COM. motet: Iste Confessor, hymn for confessors, we sang this to the melody Palestrina used in the Missa Iste Confessor.
    COM.: Tolite hostias (Graduale Romanum 1924)
    Domine salvum fac: 4 voice Faux-bourdon from the use of the Church of Paris 1739 (Thanks Henri!)
    Marian Anthem: Salve Regina, Solemn tone
  • I'm at a Newman Center, so he is kind of important for us. We didn't do an extra celebration like for a titular saint, but I did use Praise to the Holiest in the Height for the offertory hymn.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CHGiffen
  • Heath
    I, too, am at a Newman Center. We did the lovely "Complete Thy Work, O Lord" by Calvert Shenk (Canticanova) and the fabulous pairing of "Lead, Kindly Light" with LUX IN TENEBRIS (melody by A. Gregory Murray).
  • Lead Kindly Light is a wonderful text. We used it at my Grandpa's funeral set to the tune SANDON.
  • PaxTecum
    At my parish in the US we did a Votive Mass for Newman on Monday and commemorated S. Francis Borgia (we only have TLM on Mondays)
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • DL
    Is “Lead, kindly light” the hymn with the greatest number of tunes associated with it? I have sung it to Alberta, Lux benigna, and Sandon, and know of (but have never heard used) the Murray Lux in tenebris.
  • Heath
    I'll fight anyone that doesn't think LUX IN TENEBRIS is the best pairing. :)
    Thanked by 1PaxTecum
  • RMSawicki
    As is my wont, I made sure to set the carillon to ring out "Lead Kindly Light", so as to "Newma-fy" the airwaves in the parish/neighborhood. ;-)

Gaudete in Domino Semper!