Dallas, Texas
  • canadashcanadash
    Does anyone here live in Dallas, Texas, or has contacts there? If so, could you PM me, or comment below? I'm from close to Toronto and my son is moving to Dallas for a work term from January to April. I'd love to know if there is a parish he should join who may need a decent bass singer, and perhaps something about the city and the areas that may not be best to live in. Thanks so much!
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Is he moving to Dallas or one of the surrounding cities? If I remember correctly, South Dallas is not an area you want to live in, but the area around the Galleria used to be nice. My niece just moved from Dallas a couple of years ago. I'll text her and see what she thinks.
    Dallas is the seat of the Diocese of Dallas, so the Cathedral might like to have an additional decent bass singer.
    The Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex has several major sports teams, universities, shopping centers, etc. The Metroplex is the largest metropolitan area in the State of Texas. Traffic is very bad in the mornings and evenings (especially near the Central Expressway and the Mix-Master).

Thanked by 1canadash
  • Does anyone actually live inDallas?
    [Ducking and covering, now]
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    canadash, my niece said that anywhere downtown was OK, stick to the north side of town, and if he doesn't mind driving, affordable housing can be found in Frisco and Plano.

Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Thanks everyone. He will be working in the centre of the city as far as I can tell. The company is near the Fairmont Dallas Hotel.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    The Dallas Mavericks (basketball) aren't too far from there, and neither are the Dallas Stars (hockey).
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Oh my. The city sounds a lot like Toronto. lol
    Raptors, Maple Leafs and the Blue Jays... all downtown.
    And a lovely Cathedral. :)
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    The Dallas Cowboys are actually in Arlington, as are the Texas Rangers Baseball Club.

Oh, I completely forgot about the Dallas Sidekicks (Major Indoor Soccer League).

Also, there are several colleges and universities in the area that all have sports teams.

One thing that will seem odd to a non-Texan, the pickup trucks outnumber the cars. (And everybody has a vehicle.)
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Does anyone actually live inDallas?

Based on the number of apartment complexes my company has built there over the years, I would say yes.
  • There is a fledgling Ordinariate parish near Dallas, I believe it is in the suburb of Irving.
    Also there is at the University of Dallas and the Holy Trinity Seminary. Our member Dr. Gregory Hamilton was Musical Director there for about ten years. He is responsible for the nice King organ and had a fine choir made up of the seminarians. Greg was forced out after about 8 or 10 years by a new crank priest-rector who forced him out about 4 or 5 years ago - and who saw the seminarians drop from 150 to 40 during his reign.

Greg is now at St Joseph's in Macon, Georgia. He could likely offer some helpful advice on the liturgical scene in and around Dallas.
  • dad29
    One of the world's Chant masters, Fr. Ralph March, was at that abbey and ran the music program there for years and briefly at UD. He died in 2016--about the time your friend was shoved out. One suspects that was not a coincidence.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Two parishes with good music programs:
    St. Thomas Aquinas
    St. Rita
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • ghmus7
    Good Churches with good music.
    St. Rita
    St. Thomas Aquinas
    Christ the King
    Mater Dei fssp
    St. Monica
  • canadashcanadash
    Thanks everyone. I will relay the information. We'll see where he ends up living. Lots of choices which is great.