Catholic Play/Musical
  • francis
    Is anybody here aware of a Catholic play or musical or even a classical play that might have music background (a choir?) that we could employ for our K-8 school? I am avoiding the typical catalogues out there (aka Disneyesque) as we want something apropo to a classical curriculum and even with a spiritual theme.
  • Caedmon Construed.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • “The Zeal of Thy House” by Sayer. Not focused on music (it’s based on the rebuilding of Canterbury Cathedral) but a lot of Gregorian chant is included in the performance.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Murder in the Cathedral, by T.S. Eliot
    Thanked by 1francis
  • I directed “Murder in the Cathedral” as part of my senior thesis in college. I was lucky enough to get our university’s choir director to help with music - he once sang with the King’s Singers. He introduced me to Gregorian chant. Things haven’t been the same since.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Wasn't there an Opera about Palestrina and the Council of Trent?
  • Carol
    It isn't really what you are asking for, BUT I was involved in "Seussical" and was very struck by the pro-life message "A person's a person no matter how small." I also was involved in "The Sound of Music" which is a decent play. I hope you find what you are looking for.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • tomjaw
    Dorothy L. Sayers wrote a number of good plays, I am sure Music can be added.
  • Wasn't there an Opera about Palestrina and the Council of Trent?

Pfitzner's Palestrina... which is not exactly K-8 material.
  • francis
    Thnx all. I am amazed that there is so little material for a dramatic presentation Catholic.
  • There’s always mystery plays, which can be easily adapted to modern language. “Everyman”, “The Second Shepherd’s Play”, that sort. I can send you a PM with the text for a Epiphany play if you’d like, as well as some sources for mystery plays.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    Hi StimsonInRehab

We do an Epiphany play each year with Carols.

Please send sources for mystery plays to my PM. Thanks.
  • I might also add - James Bridie's religious plays from the 1920s and 1930s are full of great wit and charm, especially Susannah and the Elders and Tobias and the Angel.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Could you adapt something of Chesterton as a short play, with music?
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Orson Welles's "Mercury Theater of the Air" did an hour-long adaptation of The Man Who Was Thursday, which can be found at Project Gutenberg. I used that for a high school production I directed years back, with musical interludes (although we staged them as being Hammond organ interludes or Andrews Sisters type music, not sure that's what you're going for . . .)
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Actually, a good option and a great option just came to mind . . .

First, there is Calderon's La Vida es Suena ("Life is a Dream"), a great play with Catholic themes by the 'Spanish Shakespeare', although that might be a bit too much for K-8.

But an awesome idea for you - Dorothy Sayers did a twelve-episode adaptation for radio about the Life of Christ called The Man Born to Be King. Each episode, however, could be done as a stand-alone project. The writing is outstanding, and it's very easy to incorporate music into each play. You can find a copy of the book from Ignatius, although I'm not sure if you would ask them or Dorothy Sayers's estate about rights to perform.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Felicia
    Amahl and the Night Visitors by Gian-Carlo Menotti, a short Catholic-ish opera based on the Epiphany story. It was written for television in the early 1950's.
  • francis
    ah yes! Amahl... I know it well! I played that video for my own children year after year... Amhaa-aaal...!
  • Maybe a little campy but John Rutter has a set of "Three Musical Fables" which each clock in under 30 minutes. They feature The Reluctant Dragon ( George and the Dragon), Brother Heinrich's Christmas, and The Wind in the Willows.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • John Rutter and Jeremy James Taylor wrote The Piper of Hamlin for St. John's College School -- yes, the very same.
    I'm sure scores are available, but I'm not sure about cost.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    Just remembered Beatrix potter... tailor of Gloucester and perhaps others of hers
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins