Never seen this one before…
  • Oh my...
  • More disturbing to me, than the outrage itself, was the fact that all the photographers and ooglers waltzed into the sanctuary proper, and treated it with no respect whatsoever. They shouldn’t have stepped foot behind the communion rail.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • The giant puppets have returned!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Jani
    Bizarre
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Those priests were visibly excited to be a part of the whole charade too. I just don't get it. And at one point it looks like the puppet tries to make the sign of the cross over some people in the pews on the way out.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Someone commented: "I'm not quite certain if that was kinda cool, or creepy." Someone responded, "This figure represents the poor, the orphan, the refuge and our response to help them."

I get it, but why...why not outside St. Patrick's Cathedral. I get that this isn't within the context of a Mass, but it's still a sacred space that is being used as part of a publicity stunt.

Then again, Pope Francis condones it, so...
  • but it's still a sacred space that is being used as part of a publicity stunt.
    bingo.

It was not being treated as a sacred space. And when the priest blessed the marionette, what was he blessing, precisely? The marionette? The person inside the marionette? The idea represented by the marionette? The whole charade?
    Thanked by 2tomjaw LauraKaz
  • They’re saving a piece by my favorite Catholic composer for the funeral service:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0pOXhAF7L0I
  • CharlesW
    The Alfred Hitchcock show theme for those of us old enough to remember.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • CharlesW
    Ya know, and I should probably keep this to myself. If someone from outside the Catholic Church ever had any aspirations to convert, this nonsense could very well deter them.
  • francis
    This reminds me of the 'second celebration' which was described in the apparition to Marie Julie Jahenny.
  • If someone from outside the Catholic Church ever had any aspirations to convert, this nonsense could very well deter them.
    I pray you are referring to the monstrosity and not our criticism thereof. At least, that’s what I presume.

If I’m correct, I agree with you. I was just speaking to someone the other day about how I pray for my in-laws conversion, and yet I’m terrified of the day I get that call, because how on earth do you explain this none sense? The answer is: you can’t. And the optics aren’t good…
    Thanked by 2CharlesW tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    SS, I can't imagine our criticisms deter that many people. But it seems with the Church, it's the old story of the inmates running the asylum and no one is in charge.
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw
  • francis
    baloney yall.

do you truly understand the Church?... it is not visible in the "human" way the Church is "visible."

Hail Mary.

Close your eyes and THEN look.
  • CharlesW
    Unfortunately, the "invisible" church is not visible in this world. The visible is the only one anyone actually sees or deals with, unless they are gifted with visions or apparitions.

As I told a friend of mine who thought she heard voices, "If you would get off that liquor you would stop hearing things."
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Well Francis, with all due respect, the invisible church is also rotting and collapsing. This is why the visible sacrilege is occurring everywhere. It flows from the heart.

To bring it back to music, I believe this is why so many people like objectively awful (and ugly) music. Ugly, mal-formed (or de-formed) souls prefer ugly things. This is why we have banal architecture and terrible music in so many places.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • If someone from outside the Catholic Church ever had any aspirations to convert, this nonsense could very well deter them.

There’s a reason why Anglicanorum Cœtibus exists in the Catholic Church for Anglicans who wish to convert but don’t want to leave their patrimony behind.
  • Well, liturgically speaking, I can see the arguments, but within anglicanism writ large, that’s a bit of the pot calling the kettle black. They might wear prettier vestments, but they are donned by women…
  • Those priests were visibly excited to be a part of the whole charade. I just don't get it.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Steve QSteve Q
    Why were the priests vested for this? Just wondering.....
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Steve, I do believe this was immediately following a Mass, so that’s probably why.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Steve Q
  • chonakchonak
    This was bad psychology: the Church's sacred liturgical rites convey grace and holiness through signs that are tiny, almost invisible, compared to this enormous crass dominating distracting symbol. How will people be able to focus on Mass next week when this thing keeps popping up in their heads?
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw