Weekday responsorial psalms...
  • In preparing the music for some weekday liturgies with our Bishop, I'm wondering what's the easiest way to find weekday psalms? Do any of you have the following psalms?

For Oct. 19th:
    LUKE 1:69-70, 71-72, 73-75
    R. (see 68) Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel; he has come to his people.

For Nov 4th:
    PS 112:1B-2, 4-5, 9
    R. ( 5a) Blessed the man who is gracious and lends to those in need.

For Nov. 5th:
    PS 27:1BCDE, 4, 13-14
    R. (13) I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.

• irishtenoririshtenor
    Get the text off of the USCCB's website and then point the text to a psalm tone.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Lumen Christi Missal has music for every Daily Mass Psalm antiphon.
    Thanked by 2eft94530 donr
  • We often use the older lectionary translations because we have music for them; here are scans for the 3 days in question:
    2550 x 3507 - 1M
    2550 x 3507 - 2M
    2550 x 3507 - 1M
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • On Ferial days, it is an accepted practice to use the Psalm from the preceding Sunday. On Memorials, Feasts and Solemnities, the psalm proper to the day should be used, or an appropriate psalm from one of the commons. For example, there are psalms for the Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Common of Holy Men, Common of Holy Women, Common of Pastors, Common of Martyrs, etc.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • RevAMG
    I would second irishtenor's advice and point the text to a psalm tone: Meinrad, Bévenot, Murray, and/or Conception Abbey. All of these are fairly easy tones to point and to sing.

Also, Fr. Anthony Ruff, OSB has composed a resource for weekday responsorial psalms for Advent, Christmas, Lent, and Easter. It is available from Liturgical Press.
  • Thanks everyone!
  • On Ferial days, it is an accepted practice to use the Psalm from the preceding Sunday.

That's new to me. The General Introduction to the Lectionary does however provide an option to replace the proper psalm with a psalm from a list of psalms according to the liturgical season or the classes of Saints (no. 89):

But to make it easier for the people to join in the response to the psalm, the Order of Readings lists certain other texts of psalms and responses that have been chosen according to the various seasons or classes of Saints. Whenever the psalm is sung, these texts may replace the text corresponding to the reading.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • francis
    I use common psalms and ad libitum propers. Great way to replace excessive hymnody.
  • ghmus7
    I was not aware that the Lumen Christie had settings of the weekday antiphons. That's great. Does anyone know if there is a resource that has the verses and the antiphon together in one document?
  • CGM
    Borrowed from another post in this forum:

Fr. Anthony Ruff, OSB, out of Collegeville, MN, has set the daily Mass psalms, published by The Liturgical Press. Here's a sample of his work:

https://www.litpress.org/Products/GetSample/3261/9780814632611
    Thanked by 1nun_34
  • chonakchonak
    Forum user Kevin Galie has posted some weekday psalms in this thread:
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/5467/weekday-plain-chant-psalm-settings-by-kevin-galie
  • There is an index of "seasonal ad libitum psalms." I usually keep one or two for each liturgical season in the back of my folder just-in-case. I had actually forgotten about them because I have compiled a collection of psalms from various sources, some my own work, which sees me through about 90% of the time. I occasionally come across a feast day where I don't have a suitable psalm.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    An old thread but a current question in my case; I discovered Lumen Christi is no longer a quick online solution. Here's what I came up with for the school Mass using Ps. 37 for Friday of the Twenty-second Week in Ordinary Time.

name: Friday in OT 22;
    user-notes:c.f. Salus autem ;
    commentary: Ps. 37:39;
    annotation: Resp. Ps. 1;
    centering-scheme: english;
    %fontsize: 12;
    %spacing: vichi;
    %font: OFLSortsMillGoudy;
    %width: 4.5;
    %height: 11;
    %%
    (c4)
    The(h) sal(f)va(g)tion(d) of(c) the(d) just(f) (,) comes(f/h) from(ji) the(h) Lord.(h.) (::)
  • Contact Father Samuel Weber, OSB he is often very gracious to help and does it quite quickly.

... just kidding, I just realized this is from 2015.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Our Lady of the Rosary, for Friday 7 Oct 2022:
  • francis
    I will make a video of how I prep RPs for my school
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • francis
    vid of composing two RPs for October

http://www.myopus.com/preview/respPsalmDemo.mp4