Major typo in OCP Heritage Hymnal
  • Carol
    Be forewarned that an entire line of music is missing from "The Churches One Foundation."
  • Andrew_Malton
    Do they call it The Church’s One Foundation :-) or The Churches’ One Foundation :-( or have they omitted the apostrophe altogether :-| ?
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Carol
    Darn, I meant to check and edit before I posted, which is why there is NO apostrophe.

It is as you said: "The Church's One Foundation."

• ServiamScores
    “The churches’ one foun-daaaa-tion is THE true Cath’lic Churrrrrch…”
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CCooze
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The church's two foundations are E.F. and N.O.
    And, so for these creations, to which one shall we go?
    The first is steeped in hist'ry, the second not so new,
    It comes as no deep myst'ry to those who blame Vat Two.
  • “The churches’ one foun-daaaa-tion is THE true Cath’lic Churrrrrch…”

Christ is The Catholic Church’s one foundation. The Pope is His visible head, but the Pope represents Christ. There’s nothing theologically heterodox about that hymn. It’s a good solid hymn.

This is one of my favourite eschatological hymns when done properly.

Are you sure it wasn’t intentional? They cut and pasted the version that’s in Breaking Bread so much to take out anything that could possibly be offensive or not ecumenical.
  • I once wrote a spoof of this text, the first line of which was "The Churches' one foundation is is us, you silly twit."
  • chonakchonak
    Once OCP set up their numbering in a way that made the Nicene Creed #666 in the book, so I can't put any level of mistake out of the realm of possibility.
  • Chris, might this be on the forum somewhere that I could read the entire thing?
  • francis
    The chrch’s one foundation is Jesus on the cross
    But we have built another that’s better for THE cause
    We bring the world together; ‘t’sn all inclusive isle
    So join the new foundation, “resistance is fuTile!”
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • ServiamScores
    Christ is The Catholic Church’s one foundation. The Pope is His visible head, but the Pope represents Christ. There’s nothing theologically heterodox about that hymn. It’s a good solid hymn.
    It was a parody; a joke. Of course Christ is the ultimate foundation. The joke was that all the other churchES descended from the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Is the line missing or did they edit it out (like they like to add verses to old hymns so they can have a copyright)
  • Nathan,

I'm not sure it's out on the internet (but others of my parodies are). I have a typed copy (from back the era of typewriters) in a folder in my storage closet / TARDIS, so I can try to dig it up.
  • Carol
    No, I mean that it should have 16 measures and it only shows 12. This isn't merely a revision or a misguided "update." If you play from an organist's score your cantor is going to run out of lyrics and music 4 measures before you do. Fortunately for me, I sing the last Mass of the weekend and the error was discovered by someone else!
  • Carol
    Actually, a bad surprise like this wouldn't really happen to me because I sing through everything in the week before the Mass. I am a so-so reader of music and I feel more confident and better prepared if I have gone over everything in advance. Even hymns I have sung before may have had their lyrics "updated." The Respond and Acclaim Psalm settings are not particularly memorable so I need to refresh my memory and also getting proper phrasing and emphasis of the text matters to me.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    There’s always Fr. Zuhlsdorf’s classic parody: “The Church’s One Foundation is B-I-N-G-O…”
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Carol
  • Elmar
    Second that, Carol!
    A few weeks ago we had missalettes in which the final line of a hymn - music and text of all stanzas- was missing (of course the book for choir and organ was OK). Luckily I checked the day before and happily chose another hymn without anyone knowing.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Don't know what version is currently used at OCP, but for one of the publications where I had editorial input, I insisted that the verse beginning, "Though with a scornful wonder," should never be sung in RC churches, but was fine for Protestants.
    Thanked by 1Carol