Is there a reform of the reform movement in Africa?
  • lmassery
    I’m just wondering, is there any movement to speak of toward inculturation of sacred forms of music into the NO in Africa? Or is what we see here the uncontested norm? https://youtu.be/gnieHWFL_m8
  • madorganist
    They have an approved variant of the Roman rite, the Zaire Use. We have a parishioner from the Congo, a former seminarian, who says that many wealthy people there still prefer the Latin Mass. He also likes to remind Americans that up until the 1970s, the francophone population of Africa was as high as 80% Catholic.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    There’s a certain order which was charged with proselytizing Africa in the last century or so. An order run by a fairly prominent superior general - you might have heard of him…
  • MatthewRoth
    ^The poor relationship (um, understandably so…) between Belgium and the DR Congo likely contributed to the decline in the Catholic population and the increase of Pentecostalism, and it's also sort of strange that the administration was largely Francophone, whereas the missionaries were largely Dutch-speaking. That has had weird consequences like having a closer relationship with France, including what amounts to brain drain, but when it happens in reverse, they get liberalized, badly.

(By the way, madorganist, the Mass above is the Zaire use.)

and since Stimson commented as I hit send: that order was so successful that, before a certain event led to friction, his spiritual sons wanted the new community to come to their country, and in the end, an even newer community came instead…
  • lmassery
    I don’t really follow what you’re taking about. Jesuits?
  • madorganist
    I'm pretty sure the reference is to the Holy Ghost Fathers at their zenith under Abp. Lefebvre.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw ServiamScores