LOTH Hymnal Help
  • avscvltaavscvlta
    My Vespers & Compline group uses the "Lumen Christi Hymnal" for our hymnal. I'm needing more copies, but I think Illuminare has permanently abandoned (Grrrrr!!!) their print resources. I can't even find used copies of their hymnal anywhere.

I'm thinking I might toss the hymnals I have and just switch to Fr. Weber's "Hymnal for the Hours" on Lulu. It looks very good to me. Does anyone have experience using it? Or is there a better LOTH hymnal?

My main pause about switching has been the new translation of LOTH on the horizon. There's supposed to be an official translation of the traditional office hymns, right? So I was hoping to wait until these materials were released. But I really need more hymnals now.
  • a_f_hawkins
    lluminare Publications has joined Source & Summit - they have one volume of the choir edition
    https://illuminarepublications.com/collections/lumen-christi-hymnal
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • davido
    You can download the whole Weber hymnal for free.
    Also, you might just want to stick with Weber after the new LOTH comes out. The translations Fr Weber uses are either from classic English hymn sources, or are in the classic English hymn style. The new sample hymn translations that I saw are much more contemporary in their English and often don’t rhyme, which is quite disconcerting.
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • avscvltaavscvlta
    The Lumen Christi Hymnal is divided into two sections, with the second section being the LOTH hymns for lauds, vespers, and compline. The first section is less impressive, merely being a selection of hymns commonly used at Mass. Unfortunately the choir book that they still have in stock only contains the first section.

Also was Source & Summit something they joined? I was under the impression that Illuminare just rebranded when they went the subscription route.
  • avscvltaavscvlta
    Even though I can download it, I do like the print hymnals for our liturgies. The Lulu hardcover isn't great, of course, but I still like it a lot more than inserts or programs.

But yeah now that you mention it, maybe I invest in a set of Weber hymnals and then stick with them. That's a fine idea! Thanks.
  • We often use Fr. Webers hymnal at our monastery and it works pretty well. The biggest difficulty we have is that sometimes he adapts the melodies a note or two different from the Latin LIber Hymnarius which can tend to be a little confusing and unexpected if you dont sight read but in general I think it is a good source.
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • Fr. Weber's hymnal is great but it is so big and as a softcover won't hold up very long.

Does anyone know what the final "say" is on the use of the upcoming official texts of the hymns? Can we still use other texts?
    I really wish that ONLY the proper texts would be allowed so that "Morning will be broken once and for all!
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    y main pause about switching has been the new translation of LOTH on the horizon. There's supposed to be an official translation of the traditional office hymns, right? So I was hoping to wait until these materials were released. But I really need more hymnals now.

According to the USCCB website, the new hymnal should be published this year.
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • MAR
    Let me know if you would sell those Lumen Christi Hymnals if you wish to get rid of them.
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • avscvltaavscvlta
    MAR, when I brought it up, my group was a little hesitant to switch hymnals. They actually dug around their homes and we were able to find 3 more copies of the Lumen Christi Hymnal. So we have enough for now and were planning on waiting to see what the official translation looks like later in the year. Are you in desperate need of them? If so let me know and maybe I could convince our group to switch to the Weber.
  • MAR
    No, avscvlta, but thank you for offering! When I read that you may “toss” the Lumen Christi hymnals I thought I’d offer to purchase them to give them a home. I am glad you have a solution!
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • avscvltaavscvlta
    Okay sounds good. When their time comes, I promise not to toss them!
    Thanked by 1MAR
  • avscvltaavscvlta
    I'll just note this here. But Weber's office hymnal seems quite underrated. I hear a lot of praise for the office hymns in the Mundelein Psalter and the Lumen Christi Hymnal. But I hear hardly anthing about Weber book. It's got to be the greatest English language hymnal of all time, right?
    Thanked by 1MAR
  • I think it is because it is too big!
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • MAR
    Thank you avscvlta! I’ve looked at the Weber Office Hymnal but haven’t taken the plunge yet.
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • ghmus7
    I did the LOTH in seminary for 10 years and never used anything other than the Mundelien Psalter. IMHO cannot be bettered as far as ease of use.

Thanked by 2LauraKaz avscvlta
  • avscvltaavscvlta
    I agree the Mundelein Psalter is superb for making chant LOTH accessible. That's what we use too. But we do all of the hymns out of the Lumen Christi Hymnal. It's easier for people because the words are printed below the melodies. Also it has the Marian antiphons for Compline which aren't in the Mundelein Psalter.