This weekend is a triple-threat
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    This weekend is Corpus Christi, Father's Day, and Juneteenth! Does anyone plan on incorporating them all together?
  • No.
    Emphatically no.
    Corpus Christi is the liturgical feast, external solemnity or not.
    Fathers need support and encouragement, but a special blessing will suffice. If you're in a vernacular parish, sing "Faith of Our Fathers"* and avoid any reference to "Juneteenth", a made-up holiday everywhere other than Texas.
  • MatthewRoth
    National holidays should be acknowledged out of a sense of love for one's homeland, but not much more. Do not, for example, play the national anthem as the recessional hymn… and don't ask me how I feel about that IRL.
    Thanked by 1PaxTecum
  • Matthew,

May I ask what "IRL" is, without making you angry to an unseemly degree?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Maybe IRL = "in real life" ??

Quadruple treat this weekend for me: add in wedding anniversary on Sunday.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Drake
  • MatthewRoth
    yes, that is indeed what it means.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    In Faith of Our Fathers, the reference to "fathers", as intended by the author, Father Frederick Faber, is to "priests"--not our dads. Of course, the PIPs will not know that, so it probably is a good hymn to use on Father's Day. (But I wouldn't use it to replace a hymn to the Blessed Sacrament on Corpus Christi).
  • Carol
    Nope. Fr. will have a special blessing for fathers just before the final blessing and I doubt Juneteenth will be observed at all. I support the idea of a day to observe the event, but God forgive me, I find the name Juneteenth off-putting.
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • Old hymns,

Yes, I know. If I understand correctly, he also intended our fathers in the faith. I'm sorry if I conveyed a level of stupidity or naivite beyond normal.
  • AriasitaAriasita
    And what will happen if Juneteenth is mentioned?
  • Ariasita,

The answer to your question is: it rather depends on how it is mentioned.

To wit:

"Today is Juneteenth, the day when the last slaves in America were set free, from institutional slavery; people are still willing slaves to sin, and we must strive for the day when sinners are reconciled to God".

"Today is Juneteenth, when America celebrates the day when the last vestiges of slavery ceased to exist, but the so-called Tridentine Mass enslaved us for nearly another 100 years, and must now be, finally, taken out: root and branch"

"Today is Juneteenth, on the secular calendar in America, but it is also Father's Day on the secular calendar. Those calendars mark a different kind of time than our Liturgical time."

"I urge you to be the messenger to those trapped by believing in the 'Big Lie', and set them free from the slavery of Republican Ultra-MAGAism, to honor Juneteenth."

"In Texas, Juneteenth has been celebrated for many years, but other dumb stuff has happened in Texas, like pumping oil of the ground for profit, so I'm not sure what conclusion we should draw".

• Andrew_Malton
    I think it most unlikely that F W Faber had (only) "priests" in mind when he wrote "Faith of our Fathers". What cannot be in doubt, though, is that it has been understood since 1862 as meaning "the faith of our ancestors" be that "Christianity", or "Catholicism", or "the One, Holy, Catholick, and Apostolick Church". So much is clear from contemporary records. It was immediately popular not only with "Roman Catholics" but (after cough cough adaptations) with Anglicans and Protestants: and also the occasional subject of parody.
  • AriasitaAriasita
    Since this is a sacred music forum, I'll refrain from talking about Juneteenth. Only that its prospective mentioning on Sunday has very little if anything at all to do with the selection and execution of sacred music within the context of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Its mentioning does not lessen the glorification of God nor the edification of the people.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    As an alternative to "Faith of Our Fathers" you could always sing a hymn to St. Joseph. I think hymns honoring St. Joseph are often overlooked or even forgotten on Fathers day. I just happen to know of a wonderful collection of hymns for St. Joseph. Please visit my website https://www.motherofmercycatholichymns.com/
  • CharlesW
    Let's see. We have:
    Take Your Dog to Work Week - June 20-24, 2022 (The Mon-Fri Week Following Father's Day)

Old Time Fiddlers Week - June 19-25, 2022 (Third Full Week in June)

National Roller Coaster Week - June 19-25, 2022 (Third Full Week in June)

National Pollinator Week - June 20-26, 2022

National Mosquito Control Awareness Week - June 19-25, 2022 (Last Full Week in June)

National Insect Week - June 20-26, 2022

National Grasslands Week - June 19-25, 2022 (Third Full Week of June)

National Craft Spirits Week - June 19-25, 2022 (Third Week in June)

Fish are Friends, Not Food Week! - June 19-25, 2022 (Last week of June)

and..Carpenter Ant Awareness Week - June 19-25, 2022 (Last Full Week of June)
  • What do you sing for "Fish are Friends, not Food" week?
    Thanked by 2tomjaw LauraKaz
  • I can get behind National Mosquito Control Awareness Week. They have been really bad this year, probably because we had a really wet spring.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • GerardH
    This is why we need to bring back commemorations in the OF - at the end of Mass sing an antiphon, pray a collect, repeat for every forgotten memorial, anniversary and awareness week.

/s
    Thanked by 2tomjaw LauraKaz
  • Gerard,

Would that put an end to the silliness of the common praxis at the OF?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • a_f_hawkins
    What's with all these octaves, all this busy-ness?
    Folks June 19, 2022 is
    World Sauntering Day
    & in the USA
    National Martini Day
  • CharlesW
    I can get behind National Mosquito Control Awareness Week. They have been really bad this year, probably because we had a really wet spring.

I have always wondered why a loving God created mosquitos. Is there anything of lesser value?
  • CharlesW
    What do you sing for "Fish are Friends, not Food" week?

"Two Fishermen," or "Pescador de Hombres."
  • SalieriSalieri
    I have always wondered why a loving God created mosquitos. Is there anything of lesser value?

Politicians.
  • Caleferink
    If it weren't for Corpus Christi falling today, I might consider a hymn to St. Joseph, patron saint of fathers, for the end of Mass. in much the same as many places do a Marian hymn at the end of Mother's Day (I did the Regina Caeli that day - Mother's Day always falls during Eastertime, so it's still keeping in the season).
  • AriasitaAriasita
    Is this how opposing viewpoints are usually treated? I’m new, so just curious.
  • GerardH

[I'm purely here to stir the pot. I am not from the USA, so it is neither Fathers' Day nor Juneteenth in my sphere. I don't have a dog in this fight.]
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Ariasita,

In all seriousness, how "opposing viewpoints" are treated here depends on several factors:

1) What the viewpoint being proposed and being opposed are.
    2) How the "opposing" viewpoint is presented.
    3) How the "opposing" viewpoint responds to responses to it.

So, for example, if the question were "How many of you support physical injury for the Administrator of this site", two kinds of responses could be expected. The first, and more humane, would be shock and horror that anyone would propose injuring the man who hosts this forum. The slightly less humane would be to satirize the idea, a chain of thought which might turn into a very silly discussion of what to do with popular bosses, or what one wanted to do (but declined to do) to obstreperous underlings or something.

If the question were about whether or not to introduce some particularly offensive music or words into the liturgy (keeping in mind that you're considering an 'opposing' view point) you would probably find one group of respondents saying "that's not possible in the EF", and another saying "you EFers need to get off your high horse and live like the rest of us do", and a third group saying "whatever the priest says is what you do, whether you personally find it offensive or not", while someone will cite a scientific study (who knows what the relation to the topic would be) and still another group will say something like "in 19th century Russia....", and another group will remind us about the evils of ......

In short, we'll all respond with what we consider the most appropriate rejoinder or way of coping with the "opposing" view.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • AriasitaAriasita
    Interesting
  • ServiamScores
    "EFers". this made me chuckle.

Miserere mei, Domine.
  • CharlesW

What was the opposing viewpoint? bhcordova asked about three things that are not equivalents. Corpus Christi is a liturgical celebration by the Church. Father's Day and Juneteenth are secular celebrations that don't belong in the liturgy.
    Thanked by 3tomjaw LauraKaz francis
  • Jeffrey Quick
    We're doing "Crown him with many crowns" for Caesar Sunday next week. But we're EF and only do one English hymn. If I were doing the 4-hymn sandwich, I might be more open to subtle commentary on national holidays in general. Are there any Peter Paul and Mary songs that could be contrafacted? Or, more seriously, hymns specifically for SS Peter and Paul?
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz