NEW PIECE! - Proclamations of the Faithful
  • achoyce91
    Sorry to all of you guys who wanted to see and hear it. I got scared I'd get too prideful of my work. It's something I've struggled a lot with. Below are the links to the audio and score.

Audio: https://soundcloud.com/alexchoyce/sets/proclamations-of-the-faithful

Score: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfd5c25iwumbmd2/Proclamations of the Faithful.pdf?dl=0
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Alex,

Interesting. What's the source of the text?

• achoyce91
    Hi Chris,

I wrote it, which I know is unorthodox. I just wrote the music first and didn't want to change it.
  • Alex,

I don't know that it's unorthodox to write a text for existing music, even if one is the author of both.
    That prompts my second question: what use do you envision for it: large diocesan gatherings, struggling parishes, concerts, CMAA colloquia?
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    Alex,

I'm sorry to see your change to the OP. I couldn't pull up the score, but was listening to the recordings, and found them fascinating and compelling. I think you should be a composer.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I'd be interested to see/hear your work, if you'd be willing to share
  • Alex,

Like NihilNominis, I'm sorry to see you change the OP.
  • achoyce91
    @NihilNominis and @Chris Garton-Zavesky, I reposted the links to both the score and audio. The piece is most definitely a concert work, Chris. Thanks for the support y'all.
  • ServiamScores
    Achoyce91, just as a word of caution: you have organ notes that don't exist (ie- out of range, particularly in the pedal). I presume you just wanted to hear a lower octave sound in your mockup, but you will need to edit your score if you ever have the opportunity to put it in front of players.
  • To add one helpful detail to what Serviam said, the lowest pitch for both the hands and the pedal is C2.
    Thanked by 1achoyce91
  • achoyce91
    @Nathan_the_Organist @ServiamScores thank you both! My virtual organ instrument got me : (
  • achoyce91
    @Nathan_the_Organist @ServiamScores I added stop designations to signify "as written" or "8vb". The score should be fine now.
  • ServiamScores
    ‘Fraid not. Starting on page 2 that B doesn’t exist in the pedalboard, and page 4 is totally unplayable. (Well, as written, you know what I mean.)

Or do you mean that you updated it on your end but Dropbox has the old version of the score?
  • achoyce91
    @ServiamScores No... I thought I corrected it. I know the sounding pitch is playable, otherwise, Vienna Symphonic Library wouldn't have included it in the sounding range. How should it be notated? I thought including the stops and bumping the written range up an octave would have done it. Not so?
  • achoyce91
    OH SHOOT! I did correct most of it but clearly forgot to bump up the written part in certain staves. THANK YOU @ServiumScores
  • achoyce91
    @ServiumScores I think I finally got it fixed. Lemme know if you see anything wrong. Thanks and God bless! And you too, @Nathan_the_Organist !
  • ServiamScores
    It all looks good and is easily readable now.

I will say that the transition from page 3 into page 4 you have the manuals very low and also marked 16'. This wouldn't work in real life (although it may trick your VST into the sound your looking for). You'd want to keep the manuals on 8' stops there, or else it will get too muddy. Also, playing an open 4th that low, especially with 16' on the manuals would have an effect similar to a 32' pedal resultant (fake 32' tone which manipulates harmonics). But just going that low in the range will already create quite a full sound, especially with the manuals already doubling the low D in the pedals.
    Thanked by 1achoyce91
  • achoyce91
    Yeah I see what you're talking about. Pulling out the 16' stop would require a third hand. I'll definitely change that.
  • achoyce91
    Ok! Fixed it again. Hopefully everything's kosher.
  • ServiamScores
    No third hand needed; it will just sound like a muddy mess.

With pistons and toe studs, modern organs can facilitate stop changes very easily. The bigger issue is the tonal effect that adding a 16' stop to the manuals will have. Perhaps you DO want that, but I would personally question the marking when you're already playing so low. It's a bit like piano: you can certainly play chords that low, but the lower down you get, the muddier the chords get the more notes you have and the more closely those notes are spaced.

Adding 16' pitches there is the equivalent of transposing that already-low chord down another octave. The effect can be mitigated if you use a light stop such as a 16' quintadena or 16' bourdon that is a bit anemic, but if you used a 16' principal or bombarde/fagott, for instance, the effect would be a bit much, IMHO.
  • achoyce91
    Ok. Thanks @ServiumScores
  • Dear Alex,
    I like your music a lot! I would like to get in touch to talk about it. I have a small ensemble (tenors and basses) and would love to sing your music (at liturgy).
    Dirk Maes
    Belgium
  • achoyce91
    Hi @VocesCapituli Thank you for your kind words! The only way I can see this music used is in the hymn sections of Novus Ordo Masses. This piece is meant to be used as a four movement work for concert, but I can definitely discuss further uses for the movements. Send me a private message and we can discuss this further! Thanks again!
    - Alex
  • achoyce91
    @VocesCapituli I would love to write a new piece since you only have tenors and basses. Since you liked my piece, I'm assuming you're traditional, but which Mass: Novus Ordo or Tridentine?
  • Hey Alex, some pictures of the churches we sing in: Saint Lawrence (novus ordo) and Saint Jacob (Tridentine)
    500 x 375 - 167K
    259 x 194 - 10K
    361 x 241 - 68K
    750 x 563 - 105K
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • achoyce91
    WOW! Saint Jacob's is exquisite!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw