• Drake
    With permission, I have dedicated this brief setting of Pie Jesu to Alexander Giffen, son of @CHGiffen, after rereading the thread Sad news, grief, and a hymn.

Free PDF and playback are available at the following link:

https://www.catholicliving.net/pie-jesu/

While it could be sung as a motet, the piece also aligns with the chant Dies Irae if that sequence starts on G (Fa = G). In that case, the Soprano's starting note would match where "Pie Jesu" falls in the chant and could potentially replace the final line.
  • Thank you for composing this, and for sharing it.
    Thanked by 2Drake Lars
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    This is a treasure! I'm deeply touched by this short piece.
    Thanked by 2Drake Lars
  • PaxTecum
    This is wonderful. You should write an entire Mass around this.
    Thanked by 2Drake Lars
  • achoyce91
    I like it! Wish it was longer. What midi instruments are you using?
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • Drake
    Hi @achoyce91. Thank you for your feedback. From Finale, I selected instruments from Garritan Personal Orchestra that are supposed to approximate human voices on a vowel sound:

- Soprano Aah Solo NV
    - Altos Ooh
    - Tenors Oh
    - Basses Oh

I also set the Convolution and Ambience settings in Aria Player to "Cathedral" and "Church" respectively.
  • achoyce91
    @Drake I have Garrison Personal Orchestra as well! Pretty good value for what you get.
  • This is quite lovely.

I too wish it were longer! The suggestion of singing it at the sequence sounds marvelous.
    To my ear the possibility exists to break the piece in the middle and repeat either just the last section or both the 1st and second half. I think that would add to the utility of the piece.

I think my choir would have a very difficult time holding the tuning in mm4-5, particularly the basses holding "Ti" for so long and with the tritone between the outer voices at m.5.
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • ServiamScores
    As for length, I confess that I appreciate its shortness, because it could reasonably sung in the ordinary form by a modest group. It's rare that I have a choir for our funerals, although we did have one instance just recently, and things like this would be perfect for in such circumstances.
    Thanked by 1Drake