• for two violins and harpsichord.

You'll notice that Forest Green snuck in there, too.

Comments welcome.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Nice work! One comment about layout: traditionally, the keyboard instrument is placed under the instruments in situations like this (the keyboard instrument may be placed between the winds and strings in scores for larger ensembles).
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Charles,

Thank you for your generous appraisal.

About the layout, I shall have to find an address for Finale, to urge the company to follow more traditional placement of parts.
  • LauraKaz
    As I am rather fond of both of the carols you used, I was excited to see this arrangement.

However, looking at the score I couldn't help but notice that the violin parts lack bowing markings. As a violinist myself, I can tell you that intermediate players will interpret this as an instruction to play all of the notes with separate bows (which I doubt is the effect you would want from this piece). Advanced players would likely invent their own bowings as they deem appropriate.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Laura,

Thank you for your kind words. I hope that the imperfection you note didn't mar the over-all effect.

So.... I have absolutely no idea how to insert bowings into the file within the program, Finale. Perhaps the problem is unsolvable with the age of program I'm using, and perhaps it's a user-troglodyte issue.

Or, perhaps, do you mean that you would like to see slurs (rather than up-bow and down-bow markings)?

Do you know how I can/should solve this?
  • MarkS
    This is Finale's 'orchestral' order—if it were a full orchestral score, the harpsichord (or other keyboard) would be where it is now (above the strings, below other percussion). To re-order the staves go to 'Score manager'. Also, the string staves would customarily be about 75% the size of the keyboard staves in a score like this, allowing you to fit more music on each page.

I think Laura is probably referring to slurs, which indicate bowing (all notes under a slur taken by one bow). Unless you really know what you are doing, it is generally a good idea not to worry about up- and down-bows, and to let the string players take it from there!
  • LauraKaz
    Chris,

I agree with Mark's statement that you will only need slurs, which will get most of the bowing across. Most players will know when a phrase should start on an up-bow vs. a down-bow.
  • Laura,

My brain wasn't thinking of beginning violinists. In the music in which I most commonly swim, crescendos (and their inverse) and tempi and such are not included, on the assumption that people singing it will be able to figure those simple things out. I can try to put them in, and repost it (but that's not today's task).