Musical pieces for Reception of a Bishop
  • PLTT
    What might be some appropriate pieces to sing for the solemn Reception of a Bishop during a pastoral visitation? This is for while the Bishop processes to the tabernacle for a moment of silent prayer before heading off to the sacristy to vest. Historically, the favoured pieces seem to have been "Ecce sacerdos magnus" and "Sacerdos et Pontifex". However, those might not be possible for the Bishop. So I am searching for some alternates.

Mendelssohn's "How lovely are the messengers" has been suggested but it seems a little too generic. I'm looking for something that captures the priestly, shepherding, and apostolic aspects of the episcopacy.

Ideally I would like something with the tenor of the Syriac hymn often used for the welcome of Bishops: 'To B'Slom'

"Come in peace, true shepherd and wise ruler! You are a foundation of the Church like Peter and Paul; you are brother and friend of the prophets and companion of the apostles! With the zeal of Elijah and purity of John the beloved: blessed is the Church which receives you. "

• Chaswjd
    There is an Anglican version of the ritual where during the procession from the doors to the altar, the choir sings the Benedictus.

http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/Anglican_Service_Book/reception.html#:~:text=The Solemn Reception of a Bishop This rite,Bishop as a chief Pastor of the Church.

Some of the language in the canticle, although addressed to St. John the Baptist, would also fit a bishop:

You, my child, shall be called the prophet of the Most High;
    for you will go before the Lord to prepare his way,
    to give his people knowledge of salvation
    by the forgiveness of their sins.

There out to be a number of settings of the canticle which you could use.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • PLTT,

You've piqued my interest. Where are you, that Ecce Sacerdos Magnus and Sacerdos et Pontifex are not going to be possible for the Bishop?

Nevertheless, some setting of Tu es Petrus or the Matins hymn for the feast of the Apostles, Aeterna Christi munera , or its Vespers Hymn, Exsultet orbis gaudiis would work.
    Thanked by 2Jeffrey Quick tomjaw
  • ServiamScores
    When I was in Santiago de Compostela for the feast of St. James, the organs played huge fanfares just for the bishops and cardinals to cross the transept from the north door to the sacristy. It was pretty epic. Perhaps some organ music would suffice.
    Thanked by 2MatthewRoth tomjaw
  • MatthewRoth
    ^this. If you can't do the traditional chants, organ is great.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw ServiamScores
  • kevinfkevinf
    Elgar; Ecce Sacerdos Magnus.
  • DL
    There is an Ecce Sacerdos by Dom Gregory Murray in the St Basil Hymnal. It isn’t great. I remember at a high church Anglican occasion hearing a version of Sacerdos et Pontifex to Coelites plaudant, which wasn’t great either.
  • It is not specifically for prelates but there is that splendid Christus vincit by Flor Peeters.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford