Solemnities and Sundays
  • We have a solemnity in our community which falls on this coming Monday- Would EPII of Sunday be said or EP I of the solemnity? I am getting mixed messages- but I couldnt find anything official in the ordo.
  • The table of liturgical days would suggest a Sunday of Easter trumps any solemnities particular to specific communities, but if your community follows an Ordo particular to itself that could change things...
  • I know that sunday trumps the solemnity... but for EPII I seem to recall some other times when the solemnity EPI was taken when it fell on a Monday but maybe I am losing my mind- that highly possible.
  • EP II should be used sparingly, but it is used most commonly because it is the shortest.
  • davido
    Chris, I think in this context they mean evening prayer, not Eucharistic prayer
  • a_f_hawkins
    Sundays of Eastertide are rank 2 in the Table of precedence, and Solemnities of a particular calendar of rank4; so definitely EPII of the Sunday.
    If on the following day there occurs a celebration which has a right to Evening Prayer I, the decision as to which EP is said depends on the relative positions of the celebrations in the above table. Where, however, both celebrations are of the same rank ..., EPII is said not EPI of the following day.

In Tempus per Annum, Sundays are of rank 6, so you would then get EPI of the solemnity.
    Thanked by 1monasteryliturgist
  • Ok.

• MatthewRoth
    Another thing totally messed up by the reform!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw