New Polyphonic Hymn for Profession- help.
  • I was asked to write a polyphonic hymn to this text for the profession of vows. Im having trouble. Ideas? For 2 female voices.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Would you like me to have a go at it, and send you something?
    Thanked by 1monasteryliturgist
  • If you are willing that would be great.
  • [deleted, in deference to following]
  • Here's a first pass. Let me know. (Others are welcome to comment)
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Oh, I thought one should work on the melody already provided by @monasteryliturgist .

Chris, your setting has extremely wide vocal ranges - soprano up to high B-flat, and alto down to G below middle C. I doubt that transposing it down a minor third will help the alto (down to a low E), but it would lower the high soprano note to a high G.

• Charles,

Since the melody she provided was incomplete, I was uncertain as to whether the melody was part of what she had been given to use, or if something from a different cloth would be appropriate.

You're quite right that it has "extremely wide vocal ranges", and I'm not sure that's a bad thing, but the most obvious solution would be to start that last section as is and, at some point have the octave descent start in the middle voice rather than the high register the other potential solution is to switch the two parts at this point, and therefore have the melismas be in the alto range, rather than the soprano range.

It's a first pass. (She may pass on it, rather than pass it on to her sisters.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Its nice. Well done, and amazing that you could do that so quickly. I might play around a little more and see- its actually not too high for the sopranos but two of our altos have an extremely limited range (according to themselves- I dont think its actually true) as far as high notes so they might have doubts about reaching the B flat. But we shall see. Thank you very much. You have my rosary today.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is my effort, using the part of the melody already provided. I tried to maintain the "hymn" character of the music while keeping some of the modality, as opposed to arranging a miniature "motet".
  • Charles,

I like yours, and see that it is doing something different from what I was trying to do.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Great work to both of you! We might use one of them for first profession and the other for solemn- we shall see! Both of them are very nice.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw