Exsultet: deacon vs cantor parts
  • Please pardon my ignorance. I understand the paragraph in parenthesis in the Gregorian Missal, beginning with Quapropter - to perficiat, is only to be sung by a deacon. The very next section, Dominus vobiscum, is NOT in parenthesis. Yet the Roman Missal includes it as exclusive to the deacon. This has caused an unfortunate misunderstanding at my parish and I would greatly appreciate it if someone would help me get the final word on this. So the question I have is why does the Gregorian Missal not indicate Dominus vobiscum as exclusive to the deacon? Thanks in advance.
  • MatthewRoth
    Follow the missal and the Ordo Cantu Missae here. The Gregorian Missal is in error, and I'm not surprised that it is, since I highly doubt that one could sing such a long text from it (it's not meant to lay open on the lectern or stand like a missal or similar book); anyway, reading the text ought to be enough, no? A layman, even a minor cleric or their equivalent (instituted lectors and acolytes) are not Levites, period.

Yes, and this is why I'm against lay people singing this, more than I am against lay people singing the Passion: even in the post-1955 Holy Week liturgies, it is still a form of blessing, since the preface is a major part of the most important Roman liturgies (ordination, palms, the font, the paschal candle…), not only the Mass.
    Thanked by 2Gustavo Zayas tomjaw
  • Matthew. I was not aware that the GM was in error. I would be very interested to know what else is incorrect in it. I did review the Ordo Cantus Missae, but I did not find any mention of the Exsultet. The RM will do.

I am a layman, and I'd be happy not to sing any of it. But, I am also a musician and have to follow my employer's requests.
    Thanks.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • MatthewRoth
    or whatever the book is called, sorry for any confusion. Do note that the Vatican Basilica largely follows the earlier text (there is a slight difference at the end in MR2002, but the text is nonstandard for anyone who is familiar with the Latin liturgy…)

I understand; nevertheless, your intuition is correct.
  • GambaGamba
    It may be worth pointing out that the GM is not authoritative; it is just a nice handy collection of the chants from the Graduale, as specified by the Ordo Cantus Missae, made more accessible with unofficial-but-useful translations and additional text from the Missal.

The Exultet can also work well if divided equally between two singers, one clergy and one lay. The cleric sings the parts reserved to him and some more, and the lay cantor sings the other portion. The division of the text into paragraphs provides plenty of logical places to switch off, without seeming completely incoherent. This way, a cleric who is infirm or not confident is helped out, but the whole thing can still be sung.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • Gamba,

It can be sung by a cleric and a layman, but, properly, it shouldn't be.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw PaxTecum
  • a_f_hawkins
    Our pastor will not sing. When singing the Exsultet I resorted to having him say the brief dialogue, because I foresaw bathos if I sang "... let this ... filled with the mighty voices of the people. Lift up your hearts.", without the wake-up call of "The Lord be with you".
    Thanked by 1PaxTecum
  • PaxTecum
    One time I had a pastor who was adamant that I (a layperson) sang all of the text, including and especially the "numbered among the Levites" and "The Lord be With you" :(
  • fcbfcb
    The Exultet can also work well if divided equally between two singers, one clergy and one lay.

I have on several occasions (including last week) seen the Exsultet sung by two people, though I believe it has always been two lay cantors, not a cantor and a cleric. My gut instinct is that this is not what the Missal intends, though I don't think there is a rubric explicitly forbidding it. Of course, there are lots of things not forbidden by rubric that it is still not a good idea to do (such as the celebrant wearing a clown nose or standing on his head).
  • Pax,

How is it that solidly traditional priests get labeled "clericalist" when your pastor can behave in such an inane way?
  • MatthewRoth
    Of course, there are lots of things not forbidden by rubric that it is still not a good idea to do (such as the celebrant wearing a clown nose or standing on his head).
    The tricycle rule: nothing prohibits the use of a tricycle by the celebrant for all of Mass, but he shouldn't. I'd add that other rules discourage it implicitly, but people need explicit rules, apparently.
  • ServiamScores
    Tricycle? What is this? The medieval ages? We use hoverboards now. Get with the times.
  • “Pray that I, whom God has chosen to be numbered among the Levites,
    May worthily delegate the singing of this candle’s perfect praises...”
  • Our deacon has decided he will sing the Exsultet next year. Blessed be God! Thanks for all the input, folks.