What is a "Pulpit Hymn"?
  • FKulash
    Can someone explain what "pulpit hymns" are? I've seen references, such as the two in this article but no definition. It seems to be a term used mainly by Scandinavians.
    I'm guessing pulpit hymns are short hymns meant to be sung before the Gospel or sermon.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Prekestol is indeed pulpit, and vers is suggestive to me of a Bible verse on which to preach a sermon; in the Bach literature the Spruch is such a short quotation in the opening movement of a cantata. Perhaps these are hymn paraphrases of such a verse, but without seeing the examples I wouldn't commit myself to "sermon hymn" as an equivalent.

In the Lutheran Hymnal 1941 a Spruch is sung as a 'Gospel Sentence' or Acclamation, and the Apostle's Creed follows the Gospel, after which a hymn is sung before the Sermon. In Evangelical Lutheran Worship (2006) a "Hymn of the Day" comes after the sermon and before the Creed.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    In my experience, "pulpit hymn" refers to a hymn (or a few verses of a hymn) sung just before (or, sometimes, just after) the sermon, especially in Lutheran worship (but I've seen the term used in some Methodist orders of worship, too).
  • tomjaw
    In some parts of Switzerland (EF), they sing a verse of either the Veni Creator or Veni Sancte Spiritus in German before the Gospel. Were the Prose compositions we find in the manuscripts also sung at this point? Is this a remnant of older Catholic practice?
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    The sedevacantists at St. Gertrude’s in Cincinnati regularly sing a hymn in the vernacular before the sermon.
  • CatherineS
    I love the regional Catholic quirks! Fascinating.
  • Catherine,

Is Stimson's comment a regional thing or a sede- thing, or perhaps an ethnic thing?
  • CatherineS
    Since Cincinnati is heavily German, and the Swiss sing a vernacular hymn before the sermon, i assumed it was an ethnic-Catholic pre-Conciliar survival.
  • So, "regional", in this case, means "ethnic"?
  • tandrews
    I stumbled upon this working on my DMA. Some of Moritz Brosig's Catholic chorale preludes were intended to be used as preludes to the Predigtlieder or sermon songs.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I found this in German about Predigtlieder :
    The liturgical meaning of the sermon song
    The Protestant service regulations ensure that parts of speech and congregational singing alternate. In addition to the weekly song (gradual song / main song), there is the song after the sermon, in which the congregation sings extensively.
    The song after the sermon is not fixed, but is chosen by the preacher because it should go with the sermon. It is therefore also called a sermon song.
    Moments of content and/or the basic tenor of the sermon are taken up again in this song after the sermon.
    As a congregational song that immediately follows the sermon, it can be understood as an "unfolded Amen" with which the congregation confirms the sermon.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Table 2 The Hauptgottesdienst Liturgy in Leipzig at the Time of J. S. Bach:

1 Organ prelude

2 Latin Motet or Introit or Hymn

Latin Motet = mostly in the Trinity season. usually from erhard Bodenschatz, Florilegium selectissimarum cantionem [= part I] (Leipzig 1603; 2nd enlarged ed. 1618). Florilegium Portense [= part II] (Leipzig 1621). 9 part books = 8 vocal parts + figured bass part, implying continuo organ and string bass.
    Introit = traditional chant form, only during Advent and Lent.
    Latin Hymn = only on high festivals: Christmas, epiphany, easter,
    Ascension, Pentecost, Trinity

3 Missa

Kyrie. Sung by the choir, either plainsong or, at high festivals, a concerted setting;
    preceded by an organ prelude
    OR: Congregational hymn: Kyrie Gott Vater in ewigkeit, preceded by a chorale prelude. Gloria “Gloria in excelsis deo” intoned by celebrant, followed by the choir singing “et in terra pax,” sung in plainsong or concerted setting in the same way as the Kyrie. Followed by the congregational hymn: Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr, preceded by an organ prelude

4 Salutation (intoned), “dominus vobiscum, &c.”

5 Verse and Collect (intoned in German on Sundays; in Latin on festivals)

6 Epistle (intoned in German on Sundays; in Latin on festivals)

7 Luther's German Litany. Only sung during Advent and Lent. Sung by two choirs: the
    first, in unison, singing the petitions; the second responding in 4-pt harmony-with unison congregation and organ accompaniment

8 Graduallied [detempore Lied/Hymn-of-the-day], preceded by an organ prelude.

9 Gospel (intoned in German on Sundays; in Latin on festivals)

10 Nicene Creed. Sung by choir in Latin, plainsong or, infrequently, concerted setting. Omitted on principal festivals (such as Advent 1, Christmas, Pentecost, Ascension), that is, when concerted settings of the Kyrie and Gloria were included. If it was a concerted setting, it would be preceded by an organ prelude.

11 Cantata [= “Stuck,” “Musik,” “Motetto,” or “Concerto.”] Preceded by organ prelude.

12 Credal Hymn. Wir glauben all an einen Gott. Preceded by organ prelude.

13 Pulpit Hymn. Herr Jesu Christ dich zu uns wend, or a seasonal hymn [usually
    only one stanza] Preceded by organ chorale prelude (?)

14 Sermon. Customarily lasted not less than one hour!

15 Intercessions. Preceded by Confession and Absolution; announcements follow
    lengthy intercessions; concludes with Pauline “grace.”

16 Hymn Appropriate to the day or season, preceded by an organ chorale prelude.

Some bulletin/order of worship excerpts:
    Sion Lutheran Church, Lake Mills, IA

FIRST READING Isaiah 25:6-9
    PSALM Psalm 16
    SECOND READING 1 Corinthians 15:1-11
    *Gospel Acclamation “Alleluia” p. 151
      Glory to you, O Lord
    *GOSPEL LESSON Mark 16:1-8
      Praise to you, O Christ
    PULPIT HYMN “Christ is Alive! Let Christians Sing” # 389
    Sermon “Come See – Go Tell!” Matthew 28:5-7a
    HYMN OF THE DAY “Thine is the Glory” # 376
    Immanuel Lutheran Church, Wausau, WI

Hymn “This Is the Day, That The Lord Has Made”
    First Reading: Zechariah 9:9-12
    Psalm: Psalm 118
    Second Reading: Philippians 2:5-11
    Gospel Acclamation. “Return to the Lord” Pg. 151
    Gospel: Mark 11:1-11
    Pulpit Hymn “Ride On, Ride on In Majesty!” #346
    Sermon Rev. Dr. Niveen Ibraheem Sarras
    Hymn of the Day “Jesus Is A Rock In A Weary Land” #333
    Prayers of Intercession
    CALVARY LUTHERAN CHURCH, Perham, MN

GOSPEL: Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23
    SERMON: Pastor Erin Bovendam
    PULPIT HYMN: Lead Me, Guide Me ELW #768
      Refrain: Lead me, guide me, along the way for if you lead me, I cannot stray.
    Lord, let me walk each day with thee. Lead me, O Lord, lead me.
      Verse 1. I am weak and I need thy strength and pow'r , to help me over my weakest hour.
    Help me through the darkness thy face to see. Refrain
      Verse 2. Help me tread in the paths of righteousness,
    be my aid when Satan and sin oppress. I am putting all my trust in thee.--Refrain
      Verse 3. I am lost if you take your hand from me, I am blind without thy light to see.
    Lord, just always let me thy servant be. Refrain.
    APOSTLES’ CREED
    New Hope Lutheran Church, Grantsburg, WI:

Hymn of Praise …  #372 (vs. 1 & 3 and on screen)………...…  “Our God Reigns”

The Prayer of the Day

First Lesson…… (on screen)……...........................................…  Psalm 23
    Second Lesson….(on screen.)…………………… ……...…...   Hebrews 13:20-21
    The Gospel.......... (on screen)….……..…..................................  John 10:7-18
      Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost;
      As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be,
      world without end. Amen

Special Music                                                           Dan Sanderson

Children’s Sermon

Pulpit Hymn …#688 (vs. 1, 2 & 4 and on screen)..
    ….. “Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us”

Message……………………………………...…..……… The Lord is My Shepherd

Hymn of the Day… #682 (and on screen)......... Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah

The Apostles’ Creed (from Luther’s Small Catechism, Ambassador Publications, 2007)
    PILGRIM LUTHERAN BRETHREN CHURCH, Mentor, OH

Kid’s Chorus WE TRUST IN YOU JESUS
    Children’s Time
    Pulpit Hymn TIS SO SWEET TO TRUST IN JESUS
    Romans 8:11
    Communion Hymn MIGHTY IS THE POWER OF THE CROSS
    Communion
    First Lutheran Church, Kirkland, IL

Children's Sermon
    First Reading Acts 6:1-9; 7:2a, 51-60
    Psalm 146 (together in unison) P. 287
    Second Reading 1 Peter 2:2-10