Johannespassion by JSB: YouTube
  • SalieriSalieri
    I just wanted to share a link here to a wonderful performance of the St. John Passion by Bach that I'm currently listening to (while getting some work done) performed by the Netherlands Bach Society (Nederlandse Bachvereniging) directed by Rene Jacobs: https://youtu.be/0tBZX7jhDYI

The NBS is currently recording and posting a series of performances which they call All of Bach: with the goal of recording and uploading on YouTube the entire works of JSB, including lesser-known works (like the organ "Duets"), and features, in addition to musicians from the NBS, numerous big-name (in the HIP world, at least) solo performers like Ton Koopman and Sigiswald Kuijken. There are also some very interesting interviews with the musicians which they upload as well.

I would highly recommend following them on YouTube.

Edit: for some reason, the YT link is cued to a specific spot: be sure to watch from the beginning.
  • ServiamScores
    I love NBS. Every single one of their recordings is absolutely top notch.
  • francis
    I also like this version of the passion... the countertenor (Robin Blaze) is stunning. (1:15:10)

https://youtu.be/SiKgrevzT-g
  • Schönbergian
    Having read the historical treatises myself, and having been exposed to J.S. Bach primarily through the monumental character of his organ works on historical instruments, I find these modern versions utterly lacking in grandeur and gravitas, like a Baroque plenum unceremoniously stripped of its 16' foundation. For me, Eugen Jochum's recording preserves all of the rhythmic intensity of the Baroque period without competing in the featherweight category.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Much as I enjoyed hearing my favorite Bluebeard Walter Berry, Jochum's 2:17 running time tells all one needs to know about what kind of 'rhythmic intensity' to expect: a bit of 1960's time travel similar to the last scene of Tarkovsky's Зеркало (a seasonal tradition of my own).
  • There is a performance of the Matthew Passion by this Netherlands Bach Society, this one directed by Van Veldhoven. The choir, while good, is considerably larger, which leads to less clarity and 'rhythmic intensity'. Also a loss of the intimacy achieved by the above example.
  • Schönbergian
    Much as I enjoyed hearing my favorite Bluebeard Walter Berry, Jochum's 2:17 running time tells all one needs to know about what kind of 'rhythmic intensity' to expect: a bit of 1960's time travel similar to the last scene of Tarkovsky's Зеркало (a seasonal tradition of my own).
    I don't think a Passion should be a sprint. Different genres require different interpretations, rather than being lumped into one giant category of "Baroque tempo".
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • dad29
    Karl Richter's runs 2:17 or so. An excellent interpretation, not a NASCAR run....
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    the last scene of Tarkovsky's Зеркало (a seasonal tradition of my own).

I love Tarkovsky's use of "Erbarme dich" for the last scene of The Sacrifice. Tarkovsky and Bach are a hypnotic combo, period.
  • Nisi
    And for those who doubt the real capabilities of children's singing :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrrdWYh9Hwc&t=1865s
    Thanked by 1francis