Improperium Expectavit - SA
  • Drake
    This composition is a relatively simple two-part motet for Soprano/Alto (probably could be sung an octave down by Tenor and Baritone) that I wrote for the choir of women and girls at my parish. I hope it may be of use to someone here as well.

https://www.catholicliving.net/improperium-sa/
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Beautiful, just beautiful!
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • Wow.

I'm very impressed. I have only one question. In bar 19, would the movement toward a cadence be better served by the 4th beat in the lower part being either a grace note or a B?
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • Drake
    Thank you very much, Chris!

I’m not quite seeing the spot you mentioned. Measure 19 is the open fifth with the fermata, so I think maybe you meant bar 18? However, there I’m resolving the leading D# to E in Alto beat 4. The Soprano has B already. I suppose the D# could be held by an additional 8th note count and the E shortened and a bit emphasized, treating it more like a grace note. But there is also a syllable that needs to be enunciated there.

Maybe I’m not looking in the right place.
  • Sorry. Can't count. 18 it is. It sounds as if you repeat the 5th across the bar line, with the effect that you resolve (or arrive at the cadence) on the weakest beat of the bar.
  • Drake
    Okay, I see what you’re saying. Maybe if the alto repeats D# on beat 4, the resolution would then fall on beat 1 of bar 19, and that would be more pleasing. I’ve apparently repeated the early arrival of the cadence at the end of the piece as well.

I don’t dislike the way it is currently, but I could see repeating D# instead. Thank you for the suggestion.