Monastic Tenebrae for Triduum - special modifications?
  • Hello! This year we are trying to see what we might be able to do to amplify our Novus Ordo celebration of Tenebrae to make it better reflect liturgical tradition.

I had been reading documents on the liturgy last year, following footnotes to the relevant places in Notitiae (of which I had been ignorant previously!). Regarding the Office of Readings, they offer the possibility to contemplative communities to expand the office with three more psalms from an alternate week of the LOTH. Later, they have an answer in French to some questions about what to do when a psalm repeats, or when there isn't a response, etc.

It would be helpful to be able to have the three extra psalms, but I didn't see anything mentioned about how to do this for Good Friday and Holy Saturday. I am able to read enough Latin and make out enough French that I don't think that information was there.

This may be somewhat arcane, but if anyone has helpful information, we would be grateful!

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • a_f_hawkins
    MonasticChantress There is a standard way to extend the Office of Readings into a Vigil (provided it starts no later than the crack of dawn) with three canticles and a Gospel reading. Is that what you need or are you going beyond that? And it can be done on Good Friday and Holy Saturday.
  • Thank you! I know the extended vigils are in the appendix, and we would be adding that as well.

The thing is, the old office has three nocturns of three psalms each, plus the five psalms of Lauds and the Benedictus, for a total of 15. If we manage to have two "nocturns" of three psalms each, plus three canticles from the extended vigil, plus the three psalms of Lauds, and the Benedictus, that will equal 13. If we count the two readings from the Office of Readings, we could have 15.

There are many elements of the traditional office that can't be incorporated, but we thought we would try Benedict XVI's "hermeneutic of continuity" and try to look on the bright side.
  • a_f_hawkins
    In the absence of alternate psalms to make up the number, perhaps you could stretch a point and add the alternate readings from the two year cycle. That gives you two more points for snuffing candles. Then if you were to start the count with the invitatory you could make the fifteen.
    [Annoying side note] The Ordinariates have permission: DW:Daily Office (Commonwealth edition) - General Intro §65 -
    During the Sacred Paschal Triduum, in place of Morning Prayer the Office of Tenebrae may be said in English according to the ancient order for the Office
    Since this only came into effect on Sep 3rd 2021 it has probably not been abrogated yet.
    Thanked by 1Jehan_Boutte
  • SalieriSalieri
    Provided that your priest(s) are fine with praying the Office of Readings and Lauds from the LotH to fulfil their obligation: You can do the Old Tenebrae in English (or Latin) as a para-liturgical devotion. As a comparison: Polish Hymnals still have a form of Sunday Vespers that matches the old Office with 5 Psalms (Pss. 109, 110, 111, 112, & 116) & the Mag., which is still used as a devotion (usually with Benedictoin) on Sundays in many places. The priests have to suck it up and do Evening Prayer privately on their own.

Janitors of Tradition regulates a devotional Tenebrae service no more than it regulates The Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols. And considering that my Cathedral has a so-called "Tenebrae" service that is really just a Lessons and Carols for Holy Week: Just readings, responsorial psalms, choir anthems (almost none of which are actual Tenebrae texts---you'd think that they could dust off a Palestrina setting of the Lamentations or something, but instead they do an over-composed setting of "Were you there". Blech.), doing the old thing as a devotion is much better. And if you do it in English (I am assume you're in an English-speaking area), you have added protection for it being a devotion rather than a liturgy, because reciting the Old Office in the vernacular doesn't/didn't fulfil the obligation.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    Does the Old Breviary no longer fulfil the obligation?

We sing the Divino Afflatu Office / Calendar / Rubrics either at our N.O. Parish as part of the regular devotions or in my house. Our Diocesan priests are happy to preside. I did try to point out it does not fulfil their obligation, but they think such quibbles are not worth worrying about.
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • SalieriSalieri
    To clarify: The Old Brev. in the vernacular doesn't, and never has, fulfilled the canonical obligation, except maybe between 1965 and the promulgation of the LotH. But, as Sen. Kennedy once said: "Catholic gobbledygook".
  • The "vigil" section of the breviary should have the psalms listed. I don't have mine in front of me right now.
    We chant the Lamentations along with the responsory. We seem to have enough texts to properly snuff out the candles and we don't do 3 extra psalms. This is our list:
    I. MATINS FIRST PSALM
    II. MATINS, SECOND PSALM
    III. MATINS, THIRD PSALM
    IV. FIRST READING
    V. RESPONSORY
    VI. SECOND READING
    VII. RESPONSORY
    VIII. THIRD READING
    IX. RESPONSORY
    X. LAUDS FIRST PSALM
    XI. LAUDS CANTICLE
    XII. LAUDS SECOND PSALM
    XIII. READING
    XIV. CHRISTUS FACTUS EST
    XV. BENEDICTUS

In the Dominican tradition the last candle is simply snuffed out after the Benedictus and before the ancient intercessions which are chanted from our Dominican propers. There is no strepitus. See here: https://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2009/04/tenebrae-at-blackfriars-oxford.html The intercessions make up for it!
    Interestingly, the friars had the tradition of the prostration at the end but not the nuns.
    https://youtu.be/_9j1j3Y1_po?t=188 Please feel free to contact me if you need anymore help.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • Sister, thank you for sharing how your community ekes out 15 from the current Office. It looks quite full when you put it that way. Interesting too to see variations between different institutes and communities . . . even with the Dominican friars doing it differently than the nuns. In the video you shared, they really dive at the floor after that last "Mortem autem crucis"! It seems to be the same type of gesture as the genuflections during the Passion Gospels or analogous places.

The vigil in the breviary has the canticles. I am interested in the option, mentioned in various documents, of extending the Office of Readings with three additional Psalms between the two readings. Although I personally don't know of any community that does this (which doesn't say much, I don't have a huge breadth of experience!), some must have tried it out, at least initially, because later on the Congregation responded to practical questions about implementation. If a community was doing this year round, clearly they wouldn't just NOT do it for the Triduum . . . so I'll keep looking.

Regarding the "devotional Tenebrae," I attended one at my local cathedral one year, before I entered the monastery. It was nice . . . but it was not very similar to monastic tenebrae.
  • In the Dominican tradition the last candle is simply snuffed out after the Benedictus and before the ancient intercessions which are chanted from our Dominican propers. There is no strepitus. See here: https://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2009/04/tenebrae-at-blackfriars-oxford.html The intercessions make up for it!

If you want more informations about these Dominican Preces, you can check this article: https://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2021/04/the-kyrie-puerorum-ancient-tenebrae.html
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Chaswjd
    There was a custom in Venice whereby the repeated antiphon after the psalm was the subject of substitution by a musical piece with a different text. Perhaps you could modify the custom. After the final antiphon of each psalm you could include a musical piece which would be in the form of a meditation on the preceding psalm or reading. Perhaps even some of those pieces could take the form of one of the old Tenebrae Responses.
  • I know of several communities that sing the extended vigils. I know this sounds weird, but they just do it. One community has 2 sister "acolytes" with candles on either side of the lectern and the prioress always chants the Gospel text.
    They do the extended vigils for the big feasts.