Typesetting/Engraving - Afrikaans Psalms Project
  • I am in the process of typesetting/engraving (not sure of my terms here) a rather hefty batch of Afrikaans Psalms. I have tried Musecore, but it does not do what I need it to do. Noteflight has worked better, but not sure about how it looks or how I could improve it.

I did get some advice that the text of the psalm verses should be left-aligned, but Noteflight does not seem to be able to do that.

What I would like to do at the end of the day is to have the full psalm on one side (organ with voice) and the vocal part for the cantor/congregation on the other. There will also be a PNG version for newsletters etc.

I have received the music as Microsoft DOC files containing screenshots of music with the words under the images. Now to make it look presentable and possibly create a booklet.

Anyone out there that could help me? I would really appreciate some input so that the work of the Oudshoorn Oratory (of St Philip Neri) can be more easily disseminated.

Thanks so much!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
    Here's a sample of Lilypond: input and output:
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • @chonak - Seems that I should start learning Lilypond. The output is much better, thanks so much. You are very kind!
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • As usual, I will recommend Dorico: https://www.steinberg.net/dorico/?gclid=CjwKCAiA9aKQBhBREiwAyGP5ld2zU8K6QQxfq6tm9wY3lChJDimwwxCiO5nxxpnvxG1JJQqd4AjfjxoCFK4QAvD_BwE

Which can also do what you're looking for, and doesn't require any coding.