Report on conference Nov. 7 2021
  • This writeup just appeared on the Benedict XVI Institute website. It starts with a funeral that Steve Ottomanyi put together, discusses Frank LaRocca's Mass of the Americas and a significant after-conference. A few of us were there (It was kind of thrown together on short notice, so if you didn't get asked, it wasn't personal).
    https://benedictinstitute.org/2022/01/renaissance/
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    there is actually a complete sung Gregorian-chant Missa pro defunctis in Latin, including an optional Dies irae Sequence (thought by most Catholics to have been abandoned after the Second Vatican Council), right in the Novus Ordo itself.

I'm pretty sure NO doesn't provide for Dies irae to be sung as a Sequence. When we do Mozart for All Souls, Rex tremendae, Confutatis &c. get saved for Offertory at the other Sundays in November.
  • CGM
    I had the same thought: sure, the Dies irae exists in chant notation, but it's not a part of the Novus Ordo Missa pro defunctis. That sequence isn't in the Graduale Romanum at all.
  • a_f_hawkins
    It would be good if someone can find a source. I can't see any mention in OCM(1988), even indirectly under cantus ad libitum (there is quite a bit there which does not appear in GR1974). Of course given the freedom US bishops have, maybe one of them has authorised it.