(OF) Litany on Easter Vigil, Or Not?
  • For the OF, is the litany of saints only sung on Easter Vigil if there are catechumens to be baptized, or is it also used if there are people being confirmed and accepted into the Church? We have a few folks (my grandparents among them, Deo gratias) being received into the Church this Easter, but they've all been baptized previously. Any relevant info is welcome, thanks.
  • davido
    The Easter Vigil litany (OF) is always used. There is one petition near the end that is different if there are baptismal candidates vs no baptismal candidates.
    http://www.icelweb.org/musicfolder/openpdf.php?file=PaschalVigil.pdf
  • "42. If no one is to be baptized and the font is not to be blessed, the Litany is omitted, and the Blessing of Water (no. 54) takes place at once."

This seems to indicate that the litany is not, in fact, always used.
  • Liam
    But if the font is to be blessed, but with no one to be baptized, the Litany is still to be used, per 40.

"if the font is to be blessed, but no one is to be baptized: ..."
    Thanked by 1trentonjconn
  • So, presumably since people are being received into the Church, despite the fact that they are not being baptized, the following will be the order?

1. Invitation, followed by litany
    2. Blessing of water
    3. People are formally received, given Confirmation
    4. Renewal of baptismal promises
    5. Vidi Aquam

The way I read it, the "springs of water," the more solemn blessing of the the font, and the dunking of the candle are all omitted if no one present is being baptized. Is this correct as well?
  • davido
    Since the people are always sprinkled after the renewal of baptismal promises, the blessing of the font is basically never omitted because everyone wants freshly blessed water.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • I think the distinction is whether or not water is to be blessed in a baptismal font that will someday be used for baptism or else water just destined for the sprinkling of the people after their renewal of baptismal promises. If the former, the Litany would be sung; if the latter, it would not.
  • Liam
    "Since the people are always sprinkled after the renewal of baptismal promises, the blessing of the font is basically never omitted because everyone wants freshly blessed water."

As fonts were emptied a couple of days earlier....
  • a_f_hawkins
    If the font is not visible to the congregation then it is not blessed, and a suitable vessel is placed in the sanctuary. If the water in this vessel is used for a baptism at the Vigil then my hand missal gives a rite of "Blessing of Baptismal Water" and that water is also used at the sprinkling, otherwise for the sprinkling there is a different rite of "The Blessing of Water".
  • So...is the assessment/process which I have outlined above appropriate for my situation, or no?
  • a_f_hawkins
    The England&Wales Liturgy Office says all renew their baptismal promises, including those to be received, followed by Reception and Confirmation, YMMV - and the Liturgy Office does not always update their documents in a timely fashion.
    https://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Resources/Confirmation/RCIA-Vigil.pdf
  • To any of those interested, this is the response I got for my situation from a trusted, knowledgeable, and liturgically-minded priest in my diocese:

1. Invitation, followed by litany [No litany. See RM #42.]

2. Blessing of water [yes, with invitation as in #40, text #54]

3. People are formally received, given Confirmation

4. Renewal of baptismal promises [This should take place before reception and Confirmation. Those baptized, about to be confirmed, renew their baptismal promises with the congregation, before receiving Confirmation. Explained more clearly in the RCIA ritual]

5. Vidi Aquam [yes]

Thanked by 1Liam