Scores needed: George Malcolm, Miserere
  • smt
    Dear all

I am fascinated by the choral compositions of George Malcolm, choirmaster at Westminster Cathedral. Unfortunately it seems that the scores are seldom available. I haven't found much more than some Christmas music or the "Missa ad praesepe". A new recording includes a setting of the Miserere-Psalm and the Nunc dimittis. I would be particularly interested in the Miserere, it would be perfect for Lent I. Doesn't seem to be too difficult either.

Does anybody have a score of this Miserere? Does anybody know whether and where it is available? Or does anybody have the time and ability to write down the score from the recording? I could share it, if you message me.

Thanks in advance.
  • smt
    Addendum: For everyone interested in Malcolm in general. If you are searching for his name at this british shop you can find the following motets:

* Ingrediente Domino
    * Terribilis est locus iste
    * Veritas mea

But still no Miserere...
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    I seem to remember that there was a website dedicated to George Malcolm with a screenshot of his Miserere. Let me see if I can find it . . .

I also find his music pretty cool. My choir sang his setting of the Responsories for Christmas Matins as a Gaudete (Laetare? Can never remember) Sunday program. They're very accessible and sound great.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Tell me if this is the one you're looking for:

http://www.georgemalcolm.xcellent-stuff.co.uk/psalm50.html
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • tomjaw
    I am sure that the choir at Westminster Cathedral has access to his music. Sadly my friend Colin RIP cannot help, but you could e-mail the master of music http://westminstercathedralchoir.com
    If not the Senior M.C. is a friend and may be able to help.
  • smt
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I had found the webpage dedicated to GM, but didn't find the score – sorry, that page is a mess. THANKS A LOT!

@tomjaw: I would have never dared to e-mail the master of music from WCC. Do you have any experiences writing them?
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • I've emailed them in the past. They have a music department, so you will get a response from the secretary.
    They will ask you details of performance, etc. and calculate a license for printed copies of their works. They are very helpful and friendly.
  • tomjaw
    @smt
    I have not needed to e-mail them but have had close contacts with former members and masters of music. They are all friendly and always seem happy to help. My diocese is next door and I have always been made to feel welcome singing in my cathedral, along side the professional musicians.
    Thanked by 1canadash