• What are you using this year if you use hymns? Do you do “O Come, O Come, Emmanuel” on Advent I or save it for later? Do you do it multiple times?

My home parish is a typical four-hymn sandwich one, and we do a variety of traditional and (bad) contemporary ones from the Breaking Bread Advent section. For some reason, it seems that a lot of bad Advent hymns were written in the ‘70s and ‘80s and included in BB, but I digress.

The local cathedral today did “O Come, O Come, Emmanuel”, “O Come, Divine Messiah,” and “From the Father’s Throne on High,” a nice Second Coming text sung to the tune of HEINLEIN.
  • Working on memory, though it may have changed since I last worked in the Novus Ordo, Breaking Bread used to have these hymns outside the Advent section that I supplemented the slim pickings with:
    Lift up your heads, ye mighty gates
    Blest be the God of Israel/Canticle of Zechariah (in the morning prayer section)
    Lo, How a Rose
    The King Shall Come When Morning Dawns
    Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence
    Come Now Almighty King
  • Also:
    Come thou Redeemer of the earth
    Wake, Awake, for night is flying
  • I love Advent music! I usually try to work all of these in as possible:

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel, multiple times (different verses to get in the O antiphons)
    Lo! He Comes With Clouds Descending
    Lo, How a Rose
    Lift Up Your Heads
    O Come, Divine Messiah
    Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus
    On Jordan's Bank
    Creator Alme Siderum (Creator of the Stars of Night)
    Alma Redemptoris Mater (simple and solemn tones)
    Rorate Caeli Desuper
    The Angel Gabriel From Heaven Came
  • "Come Thou, Redeemer of the Earth" is a good one. The BNSIC in DC did it yesterday, and that was the first time I had ever heard it.
  • "Christ, the Dazzling Bridegroom" is one that I regularly use to accompany household chores. :-)
  • Anna,

Never heard of the text (or a tune) to "Christ, the Dazzling Bridegroom".
    Can you point me to it?
  • It's one of mine, Chris.

https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/19327/christ-the-dazzling-bridegroom-an-advent-hymn#Item_3

The tune is named for dear Prince Andrei Bolkonsky, the Christ figure and general heartthrob in "War and Peace," wounded in the side at the Battle of Borodino.
  • chonakchonak
    (For a TLM:)

Entrance/Recessional:

Lift Up Your Heads
    Lo, He Comes With Clouds Descending
    Creator of the Stars of Night
    O Come Divine Messiah
    Comfort, Comfort, O My People
    The King Shall Come
    O Come, O Come, Emmanuel (fourth week!)
    Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming

Extra pieces added during Communion:

Rorate caeli
    Alma Redemptoris Mater
    Ave Maris Stella
  • What do you think of singing “Rorate cæli” (we do mean the Advent prose, right?) during a Rorate Mass? Perhaps we will choose to sing it then, this year (Dec 11).

Now obviously the refrain is appropriate, but... somehow... the verses seem inappropriate for a votive Mass of Our Lady. Since they (the verses) are by way of being a penitential dialogue between nos populus tuus and Dominus.

Thoughts?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Rorate cæli desuper" as the Introit for Advent IV and as the refrain for the Advent Prose are two different things, both appropriate in the right context. That said, I can see the Introit version being sung as an extra piece during Communion (the verses might be mor appropriate).

Another hymn not mentioned (probably because it is not in any current hymnals) is Adam Wood's "From ancient roots a shoot shall rise" - and I have just posted in a separate thread my own setting of this to WINCHESTER NEW (with some niceties that make it suitable for Entrance or Recessional, or an OF Offertory hymn).
  • Nun Komm der Heiden Heiland and O Heiland Reiss are two that I always program (in English) in addition to the staples already established in the thread. I like the dance-like jauntiness of O Heiland Reiss, and two different Advent texts are set to it in the St. Michael hymnal.
  • Es Kommt Ein Schiff Geladen is also a favourite (There comes a galley laden is the English version).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I've been doing O Come O Come Emmanuel for all four Sundays, would love to see some more discussion on whether people think it should be saved for later in Advent.

Also:
    The King Shall Come When Morning Dawns (Advent 1)
    On Jordan's Bank (Advent 2 and 3)
    Hark! A Thrilling Voice Is Sounding (Advent 2)

Contemporary:
    Even So Come by Chris Tomlin (Advent 1, 2, 3, 4)
    Everlasting God by Brenton Brown (Advent 1)
    Sanctuary (Advent 1)
    Ready the Way by Curtis Stephen (Advent 2)
    Shout to the Lord by Darlene Zschech (Advent 3)
    There is a Longing by Anne Quigley (Advent 3)
    Soon and Very Soon by Andraé Crouch (Advent 3)

Haven't finished planning Advent 4 yet.
  • Contemporary Worship,

Are you pointing out modern stuff which is adventish in flavor, or are you indicating what you've already programmed, or are you recommending these texts and their tunes for use elsewhere? I'm asking because your initial group and your "contemporary" group are surprisingly discordant with each other.
  • Contemporary Worship,

Are you pointing out modern stuff which is adventish in flavor, or are you indicating what you've already programmed, or are you recommending these texts and their tunes for use elsewhere? I'm asking because your initial group and your "contemporary" group are surprisingly discordant with each other.

This is what I've programmed. I would recommend the texts and tunes for anyone interested in this genre, but yeah I was just trying to answer the OP with what I'm doing.

I'm a believer in doing blended worship and presenting the totality of the musical tradition of the Church. So, in any one Mass I may play several different genres.
  • CatholicZ09,

You will know the contemporary repertoire better than I will, so do you Contemporary Worship's contemporary song list a good one to use in your parish (and everywhere else)? What about the concept of using mixed genres: does it matter which genres you're mixing?
  • Chris, I believe we’ve had this discussion in another thread, and I didn’t answer fully because I didn’t feel as if I could.

Contemporary Worship’s list is not something that would work in my home parish. Other than Anne Quigley’s “There is a Longing” and Crouch’s “Soon and Very Soon,” the others on the list are ones that would likely fit a typical contemporary group. I can’t speak on the authenticity/validity of the lyrics of the songs on that list because I don’t really know those songs off the top of my head (only vaguely). I’ve heard quite a few of them. I typically side more on the traditional side of hymnody because it’s easier for the congregation to sing, IMHO.

As far as mixing genres, I see no problem with doing such a thing. It’s regularly done at my home parish and the parishes around it. No one parish around here seems to do one genre and one only except for maybe the TLM parishes.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    At 4 p.m. Mass last Saturday, the recessional hymn was "Soon and Very Soon" from OCP's Breaking Bread. The so-called leader of song introduced the song and then started clapping. Soon (and very soon) many in the congregation started clapping and jumping around, too! Is this appropriate for the penitential time we are now entering, or am I missing something here? At one time, years ago, clapping was forbidden in Catholic churches, probably because it was felt that it would show a lack of reverence to the Blessed Sacrament. Actually, at this Mass, I didn't feel any of the hymns were appropriate for Advent save for People Look East. Fortunately, the next day, I attended Mass in another parish that uses the Ignatius Pew Missal and all of the hymns were, indeed, very spiritually uplifting for the start of Advent.
  • I'd like to share my mini-motet version of Rorate Cæli here in case anyone is interested: https://www.psallitedomino.com/store-1/p/rorate-caeli-s-a-bar
    I've set the refrain SABar which is followed by two verses of the chant.