In Praise of Kevin Allen
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I am listening to a recording of Kevin Allen's TANTUM ERGO as I edit footage for the special on the Colloquium

I am ... speechless --- it is so beautiful

what an amazing composer --- what a beautiful, heavenly way to praise God

Pieces like this, beautifully sung, are the best argument for true Sacred music, I think
  • don roy
    jeff

i couldnt agree with you more. I had the privilage to sing in that choir at the colloquiem.
    It was an amazingly spiritual experience just singing the piece.

I dont think its hyperbole to say that keven is one of the best. He has created his own unique style withen a diatonic framework. No easy task...at all.
  • gregpgregp
    It was am amazing experience to go from "What in the world is this music?" as we were learning the individual parts to "Wow! Now I can't get it out of my head!" as we put it together.

Kudos to Jenny as well for choosing to do it and putting up with the grumbling as we learned it.

And a shout out to fellow Basses Carl and Flambeaux!!!!
  • gregpgregp
    BTW, Jeff, any idea when that will be released?
  • don roy
    what about the idea of a composition contest for next yearsacolloquiem, the winner would have his composition heard during the colloquiem.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    gregp,

I work on it every day for hours --- every single day
  • Carl DCarl D
    Yo back to you, Greg!

I do have to say, the singing of new compositions has been a real highlight for me both years I've been at the Colloquium. You never know what to expect, but there's such great work being done!
  • June Ely
    Jeff,

I totally agree. I too sang in Jenny's choir, and I felt that Kevin Allen's Tantum Ergo was the most beautiful piece of music I learned at the Colloquium. I let Kevin know that, and asked if it was recorded ~ which it hasn't been yet (except for from the Colloquium of course). I have ordered Kevin's first cd, it is supposed to be in the mail to me soon...
  • June Ely
    I have received Kevin Allen's cd via the mail, and it is simply wonderful - I highly recommend it. I especially love the Subvenite...for those interested here is a link to the site where his 'Restoration of the Sacred' cd can be purchased:

http://lincolnchamberproductions.org/node/25

(and no, I don't work for him... :) )
  • Kevin Allen — Desidero, mi Jesu

This is really a stunning piece on many levels; what's more, it's the only setting of the text that I'm aware of (CPDL search turns up nothing); Google, however, has this video as #1 on its hit list for "Desidero, Mi Jesu." It's been up for less than 30 minutes.

Also, Kevin's website is about ready to be presented; however, all websites are works in progress…there is at least a contact form there as well as his list of works (which are extensive).
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I don't have words to describe how gorgeous this is.

Kevin Allen, I am so honored to have met you at the Colloquium!!!
  • chonakchonak
    It's good to see Fr. Kirby's icon -- well, he didn't write it, but he owns it.
  • June Ely
    Aristotle,

Will we be able to purchase individual MP3's of his music from the site ala ITunes? I would love to be able to purchase a couple of his pieces of music, as opposed to the whole cd, to give to the Music Director of our Diocese...
  • June— Good point: I'll tell Kevin to look at this thread.

In the meantime, here's a recording of his 2007(?) setting of the Tantum Ergo, courtesy of Carl Dierschow & Jenny Donelson's Colloquium choir:
    Tantum Ergo — Kevin Allen
  • June Ely
    Thank you Aristotle -

It was from this year's colloquium, and I had the privilege of singing it in Jenny's choir.
  • Oh, I sang it too, June. It's just that Kevin has produced three distinct settings of Tantum ergo (so far) — thus the date of composition.

His 3vv setting is worth looking at (from his Motecta Trium Vocum collection, which includes Desidero, mi Jesu.
  • Mr. Z
    Demanding music, more than beautiful. Takes a superb ensemble to pull off. I hear strains of the great Russian choral works, that soaring ethereal kaleidoscopic effect. Would love to see some scores, any available? Kudos, Mr. Allen!
  • Sean Herriott of Relevant Radio's Morning Air interviewed Kevin yesterday.

Interview with Kevin Allen (~12:30–28:00) (50MB 128kbps MP3)

Here's a direct link to the audio archive page for that day.
  • don roy
    mr z
    thats whats so great about kevens music. it looks and sounds a lot harder than it really is. the internal logic and exquisite tonalities make it so fun to sing that you dont notice the extra effort. once the piece is understood it almost sings itself.
    im in awe and not a little jelous.
  • Mr. Z
    ..that's whats so great about keven's music. it looks and sounds a lot harder than it really is.

The music of the truly great composer is like that. Those works are, most often, easier, not harder, to sing as the masters of composition are masters of voice leading and building a certain inner logic into the individual line.
  • I too sang Kevin's Tantum Ergo in Jenny's choir this year & Carl, you graciously provided me a cd of the Holy Hour music the very next day (gracias again!). The first time I played it after returning home found me totally overcome with emotion, both from the music and from the fresh remembering of the entire Colloquium experience. Musical heaven on earth...
  • We read through TANTUM ERGO last night and Kevin's facility of scale-wise motion mixed with some creative use of accidentals seems to be a hybrid between Palestrina and Barber. Simply beautiful. I actually wonder if one passage is sort of an homage to Barber's Adagio, but not a quote.
    Wonderful.