The Catholic Choirbook Anthology I
  • $19.95 each, shipping included in the US.

Aside from providing an instant library of music for a Catholic choir, it offers what you may use to develop a choir:

English hymns old and new to assist the choir in developing their ability to sing together in parts.

Anthems in English to build on this ability without the added challenge of learning to sing Latin.

Motets in Latin then may be used to help prepare them to move on into singing Chant in Latin.
    Thanked by 2melofluent canadash
  • As a reminder, the entire book may be downloaded at no charge on the site.

We've been told that purchasing a book or two and "gifting" them to a choir director with a link to the downloads can dramatically increase the chances of music being downloaded and sing by the choir, act criteria and organist have hard copies in their hands to study and perform from.

To assist those unfamiliar with the book, here are a few reviews:

This is a thoughtfully edited compilation of some of the best Catholic music, all appropriate in both text and style. From Fogliano and Byrd to Stainer and Elgar this is not simply a collection for medieval music aficionados but of the most beautiful and appropriate music for the Catholic Mass. Included are famous settings by Byrd, Palestrina, and Mozart but also wondrous pieces by lesser-known composers like Remondi and Lotti. The volume contains indices by composer, piece, and part (SATB, SSA, et cetera.) English translations of all texts precede the piece. The spine and layout allow for the easy making of copies, which is handy because copying and sharing of the music is permitted under Creative Commons license 3.0.
    Apologia Pro Literati Vita

This Choir book is an incredible resource and a great deal. As a busy choir director, who must manage a music program along with planning liturgies, buying music, maintaining a choral library, answering endless emails and doing everything by oneself (including, at times, cleaning the choir loft!) I have found this book to be the answer to many prayers as it solves many problems related to running a parish choir.

First - it contains almost everything a choir director, doing high quality sacred music, could want. Instead of copying scores ad nauseum or spending a lot of time ordering scores, you have everything you need right at hand. If all choir members have a book, voila! the music that is needed is at hand.

Second - It's beautiful typeset with lovely graphics. So, it's pleasant and friendly to look at - which is important.

Third - It's SO EASY TO USE.... and there are tons of online resources that you can access as well.

This choir book is also a wonderful tool for creating a repertoire - of which, each choir member can be proud.

I can't say enough good things about The Catholic Choirbook Anthology. Check it out - you'll want to own one.
    Susan Carroll
  • melofluentmelofluent
    An additional shill from the Left Coast. I bought a rehearsal set and a church set of vol.I, and it has saved my bacon with my schola many Sundays. We don't rehearse summers but still do motets. A couple of weeks ago I'd referenced singing the D'vry O Sacrum Convivium, which as soon as we started "refreshing" our memories of it I realized it wouldn't fly. So I simply said, "OK, folks, turn to pg. 84 (I think) and we'll do Elgar's Ave Verum Corpus. If I wasn't on a mission from God to give ear to new composers I'd buy subsequent volumes of Noel's compilations.
  • WendiWendi
    and from the Midwest, I too have a hard copy for reference and have downloaded multiple copies for use by the choir. It's a wonderful resource to use no matter how musically literate your choir is.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I used to work at an Episcopal parish with no budget and no music library. Also, I was mostly not familiar with the standard traditional church choir literature at the time. The Catholic Choir Book was a great resource for me. We used several pieces from it over my four years there.

If you grew up on HOOTENANNY MASS like I did, and are wondering what (besides, obviously, chant) you should be doing with your choir - what are the "standards" that you should have learned about growing up in a Catholic choir - this is a great book for you.
  • The Catholic Choirbook Anthology is still free to download, encouraging people to sing wonderful music at Mass is much more important than making $.

Sacred Music Library

We are in the process of dropping the price of the printed book on AMAZON (402 pages) worldwide to $12. Should be up in about 72 hours if all goes well.