Question about TLM Nuptial Mass
  • Hello,

I have never sung in a TLM wedding. Can someone tell me if there is Kyria, Gloria, or Credo sung in a nuptial mass?

Also, is there a Mass setting with 4 voices (SATB) that is customarily sung in TLM weddings? Nothing difficult as we probably won’t have more 2-hours rehearsal for all the music we have to sing prior to Mass.

Thank you for your help!

Rebekah
  • tomjaw
    We have had threads about this, others are linked in the comments.

Kyrie Yes,
    Gloria Yes, if using 1962 Rubrics.
    Credo usually no.

Different rules apply if you are celebrating a wedding on a First Class Feast.
  • Re Ordinaries:
    If we're doing chant, I generally suggest Mass IX because of the Marian connection
    Polyphony depends on what you know and can afford in money and rehearsal time.
    For questions re the TLM, I cannot recommend this highly enough:
    https://media.musicasacra.com/books/7848318-Psallite-Sapienter-A-Musicians-Guide-to-the-Extraordinary-Form.pdf
    Thanked by 2tomjaw m_r_taylor
  • chonakchonak
    As one example of what can be done, here's the music list from a wedding in which I sang a few weeks ago:

After the wedding rite, while the couple visited the Marian shrine in the church: Biebl, The Angelus
    Introit, Gradual, Alleluia, Offertory, Communion: chant propers
    Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus, Benedictus, Agnus Dei: Byrd, Mass for four voices (note: no Credo)
    Additional motet during the Offertory rite: Stanford, Beati quorum via
    Additional motet after Communion: Franck, Panis angelicus

• Chonak,

You didn't happen to make a recording of the Stanford, did you? I sang it as a boy, and haven't heard it live in absolutely years.
  • chonakchonak
    No recording, sorry.
  • Chris - this one? Beautiful.
    (you were in a boy choir?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maP8GZvFewY
  • Madame,

Yes, that's the one. Sang Bruckner's 3 graduals, too. And many, many other beautiful pieces.

Yes, I was a choirboy. Seems like eons ago. (That said, I'm among the younger set at this forum).