Jesus Prayer Chant
  • JonathanLCJonathanLC
    Just a quick question: does anyone know of a setting of the Jesus Prayer to English plainchant or perhaps in Greek or Latin that would be easy to sing on the move? I am finding quite a few choral settings, but not quite what I am looking for.
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    I know of a round. Living composer -- can ask if he'd be willing to share.
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • Excuse my ignorance. What's the "Jesus Prayer"?
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • Chris -
    'Lord Jesus Christ, true Son of the Living God, have mercy upon me, a sinner.' Many be repeated numerous times.

This was first taught me by Fr James T Moore in 1962. Neither of us dreamed at that time that he would become the first pastor of the Cathedral of our Lady of Walisngham.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen cesarfranck
  • rollingrj
    "Domine Jesu Christe, Filius Dei, miserere me peccatorem!"

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

From the Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector (Luke 18:9-14).
  • chonakchonak
    Does "miserere" take an accusative object, genitive, or a dative? I ask because in some motets, the words "miserere mei" appear.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Lewis and Short quote examples with accusative, dative, and genitive (pl).
  • Andrew,

That means that the answer to Chonak's question is, "Most emphatically, Yes!"
  • So after no luck in finding a setting, I decided to have a bash at writing a setting. Anyone who would like to improve on my poor offering, please do, as I am using the simple version as a chant in the morning before devotions. The Jesus Prayer I sing 33 times and the Holy God three times at the end. You may find the music attached in txt and png format.
    1304 x 682 - 103K
    1296 x 680 - 111K
    Thanked by 1SBCpianoman
  • chonakchonak
    Here's a little edit for the first one:

(c4)O(gh) Lord(hhh) Je(ixgvhiHG)sus(g) Christ,(g.,) Son(fg) of(h) God,(hijIHiih.:) have(g) mer(hj)cy(jIH) on(g) me(hg) the(fd) sin(fgh)ner.(g.::) Ho(gf)ly(df) God,(g.;) Ho(gf)ly(df) Migh(g)ty(g) One,(g.;) Ho(ixghi)ly(h) Im(f)mor(d)tal(f) One,(g.;) have(g) mer(hj)cy(jIH) on(g) us.(hg..::)

That is:
    * "Oh" is an exclamation of surprise, while "O" is a particle used in addressing someone.
    * In GABC, if the text contains punctuation marks, put them immediately after the preceding words, not after the music notation. If you don't do that, the output will have unwanted hyphens, as happened in both examples.