Question about TLM Requiem
  • Hello!

I should not be confused about this, but I am... can someone tell me if we sing the Tract even if it is outside of the Paschal season in the Requiem?

Also, when do we chant the very short Requiescant in pace? Is it after the final time we sing Lux Aeterna antiphon? Or, is there something that comes before it?

And, just to make sure, we sing the Dies Irae Squence right after the Tract, which is right after the Gradual nonstop as usual. Is this correct?

Thank you for your help!

Rebekah
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • Rebekah,

Let me start at the back and work forward, since I'm going to sing a requiem in the morning.

3) Gradual-Tract-Sequence is the correct order, and how much gap between them (within reason) depends on the choir director. Usually there's enough of a gap to acknowledge that they're 3 pieces.

2) Lux aeterna is the Communion antiphon, which is followed by post Communion prayers and absolution and the Libera me before you sing "Requiescant in pace"

1) Tracts are usually replaced in Paschaltide, so "even if it's outside of Paschaltide" would be most of the year, when the Tract would be used. I don't think
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Chrism
    Yes, the Tract is always sung. And after the Lesson (1st reading), the Gradual is sung, immediately followed by the Tract, which is immediately followed by the Dies Irae.

The Requiescant in pace is chanted by the priest at the end of Mass instead of Ite Missa Est, and the choir's response is Amen. Lux aeterna is the Communion antiphon, it is sung during Communion. Typically, the In Paradisum is sung at some point as well.

Hopefully someone will link to a very helpful guide to singing Requiems - I've responded quickly because I don't know how much time you have.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Jeffrey Quick
    The tract replaces the Alleluia at times when it would be inappropriate to sing Alleluia, like Lent, Advent, and....funerals. And there is no Alleluia for the Missa pro Defunctis. So Tract it is.

The Requiem is pretty much like any other TLM, except that it's a plenary Mass (it carries its own Ordinary with the Proper), and if one were to replace the given Ordinary movements with polyphony, one would use movements from a polyphonic Requiem. (I don't know if it's black letter law to not do, say the Kyrie from Mass XI, but It Is Not Done.) And the end gets confusing, depending on whether you're doing All Souls or a funeral, and the details of that funeral. Mills' Psallite Sapientur, p. 50 gives the details.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Hi Rebekah!
    There are of course differences between the EF & OF: if you're looking at the latter you'll read "Alleluia outside of Lent". But a Tract would presumably never be dropped without a replacement.