Secular Hymnal
  • Liam
    Where, oh where, to begin?

Well, well, well let me highlight this particularly cherce morsel, with a seasonally apt tune:

http://www.hymnary.org/hymn/SH2014/49
  • francis
    oh yea. it belongs to the church of NICE
  • That's...remarkable.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This book as amazing.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also check out Jo Puma — the secular Shape Note hymnal.
  • dear,

if anything is to be sacred, cant it also be secular at a same time ? a question in theory ,
    Ph
  • What a hoot! How fun! The problem with our age is that humor has lost its place, and so when someone attempts satire --- it is taken as serious!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Many of these wonderful titles insinuate a country song take.
    "Drop kick me, Dawkins, through the goal posts of life."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    According to the link Noel posted, the publisher is the Machinists Union Press. The union is noted for being very politically active, and with strong leanings in one direction, so it's only fitting that they would support a secularist songbook.

However, this ditty seems to contradict the praxis of the I.A.M.
  • ronkrisman
    I'm surprised that hymnary.org includes the contents in its listings. But various entries may prove to be useful in skits, at talent shows and "roastings" of pastors, etc.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Kathy
    ...or the social justice sections of many a hymnal intended for Christians...
  • Reval
    At least it's written in 4 parts!
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I don't get the sense that the Machinist's Union Press is related to the actual Machinist's Union.

Here is the site related to the book in question:
    http://machinistsunion.org/

Here is the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers:
    http://www.goiam.org/

It mostly seems to be the work of one really weird gut, who calls himself "Secretary Michael."

Also, I'm 100% sure this is not satire.
  • Adam,

Why are you sure? (I don't know if I disagree with you. I could only conceive such a gem as a lampoon of the secular humanist position, but if you think it's serious, could you suggest how I can come to your position and certitude?)
  • If it's satire, it's "deep" satire.

"Machinists" are science-minded people who see the world as a machine. All people, whatever their successes or failures, are seen as innocent products of past events.

My favorite hymn, hands down: http://www.machinistsunion.org/songs/SH018.html

Just when you think you've seen everything, the Internet throws up something truly weird.
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for looking that up, Adam.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Why are you sure?

His intro to the printed book is pretty sincere, as is the rest of the content on the site.
    There's really no indication that any of it is a joke.
  • the secular Shape Note hymnal.

In the early 1980s, I worked on (and friends sang from) The Pagan Harp. There were tunes by me and others; there's actually a fair bit of "Nature's God" material in early American singing school music. One tune from that era, Watergate, (text by Watts) was sung pseudonymously at a concert of Early American works that Nym Cooke did when he was at U-Michigan, and has been included in a compilation he's working on.
  • This secularitary michael has a lot of time to waste up his soul. The saying go, << Wander that time, yet time again wonder still. Understand, not wander, but wonder. >>,
    Ph

the worste part is the guitar chords do not identical with the chords of the singing,
    Ph
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Schönbergian
    This recording from the Secular Hymnal has just popped up. Perhaps the text can provide a useful antidote to the furor that's been engulfing the Church today?
  • Carol
    I looked at the link at the end of "Why Does This Phrase have 5 Measures?" and I think he seriously wants people to sing the sacred tunes, but doesn't want them singing anything theological. The 4 parts are there because he wants secular choirs to sing in four parts so he lifted the four part arrangements from somewhere. He pleads for composers to write more songs that all believers and non-believers can sing from the heart.

Very entertaining, but also very sad when you really think about it.

Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • A couple of them are quite activist left. Consider what the did with Thaxed (Let's Start a Big Commotion) and Slane (We Can Be Tolerant). Some are definitely funny, however, such as Why Does This Phrase Have Five Measures.