Best Ordinary Form Masses, A Traveller's Guide
  • Kathy
    I turned on my radio in California one Sunday to the Catholic station, and there was the most beautiful sung Mass on. The Gregorian introit, a bishop chanting the presidential prayers and preaching wonderfully well. Beautifully done all around.

The musician was Matthew Meloche, then-DM of the Phoenix Cathedral.

Where else do we find extraordinary Masses in the Ordinary Form?
    Thanked by 1Anna_Bendiksen
  • MarkB
    St. Michael's Abbey, Silverado, CA.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • pfreese
    “ extraordinary Masses in the Ordinary Form”

Ha ha, I see what ya did there…

Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis:

Cathedral, St. Paul
    Good Shepherd, Golden Valley
    Holy Cross, Minneapolis
    Holy Family, St. Louis Park
    Our Lady of Lourdes, Minneapolis
    St. Agnes, St. Paul (of Msgr. Shuler fame)
    St. Charles Borromeo, St. Anthony
    St. Mark, St. Paul
    St. Michael, Stillwater
    And others (my sphere of knowledge is mostly cities of Minneapolis, St. Paul, and the west suburbs)
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • OraLabora
    Abbaye Saint-Benoî-du-Lac, about 130 km south-east of Montreal. Lauds, Mass and Vespers sung beautifully in Gregorian chant daily by Benedictine monks.

Abbaye Saint-Marie-des-Deux-Montagnes, same thing but Benedictine nuns. Near Montreal.

Both are abbeys of the Solesmes Congregation.
  • my praise and worship band is really good

I sense good is being defined a bit different from this though haha
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • trentonjconn
    Stan Getz is really good too, but not at Mass! I think you're quite correct in your sense, jclangfo.
  • trentonjconn
    In response to OP:

I know that, if you're in Georgia, Our Lady of the Mountains has a very good thing going.
  • cmb
    To state a few of the obvious:
    St. John Cantius
    Westminster Cathedral
    St. Mary's Cathedral (Sydney)
    London Oratory
    BNSIC
    St Paul's Harvard Square
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I know that it isn't the "ordinary form," but there are some extraordinarily beautiful Masses to be had at Ordinari...ate churches.
  • Kathy
    Good point! And at Eastern Rite parishes as well.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • CatholicZ09
    St. Paul Cathedral in Pittsburgh, PA, has a very nice OF Mass. Great organ, traditional hymnody. The choir sings at the 12:00 p.m. Sunday Mass from mid-September through early June and has a nice classical repertoire.
    Thanked by 3Kathy CHGiffen cmb
  • RCS333
    Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in DC
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • chonakchonak
    (I deleted some off-topic comments.)
    Thanked by 3Liam Kathy CHGiffen
  • Liam
    The Cathedral of the Holy Cross, Boston; the 11:30 English language Mass program for this weekend is illustrative of summer programming with a dozen-ish member schola having returned as of Pentecost - the music for the 8AM Mass is pared down from this:

http://holycrossboston.com/wp-content/uploads/16Ord2021HC.pdf
  • It does not appear that they have restored the full schedule of Masses at my old Parish, the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle in Washington, DC. Following those unfortunate events a few years ago I withdrew and got involved in my territorial parish, which turned out to be lovely, so I am staying put; otherwise I would know about St Matthew, which I miss.

The 11 AM Mass with the schola cantorum will have beautiful music. There used to be a 10 Latin Novus Ordo that was my favorite Mass ever, but if it is to be restored, it has not happened yet from what I see. Watch the website.

Kenneth

Thanked by 1Kathy
  • May I put in a heartfelt plug for The Parish of St. Catherine of Siena, Trumbull, CT, about an hour north of the NYC area. The liturgy and music are done with great sensitivity and attention to detail. (One of the things that convinced me to convert was the way in which silences are observed during the Mass.) Thanks to Father Marcello, we have a growing altar-server program that shows every sign of being a pipeline to seminary. Clergy and congregation actually sing! To top it all off, the sanctuary was renovated a few years ago by Duncan Stroik.

http://www.stcathtrumbull.com
  • St. Andrew in Pasadena, CA.
    St. Teresa of Avila in Silver Lake, CA (hidden gem)
    St. John Paul II University Parish in Denton, TX
    Cathedral of Christ the King, Lexington, KY (usually!)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Kathy
  • St. Benedict Abbey in Still River, MA. Small chapel. Sunday conventual mass fills up fast.
  • jsohler
    St. Martin of Tours, Louisville, KY
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • BruceL
    I'll plug St. Mary Cathedral in Austin. The noon Mass schola is one of the better singing groups you'll hear in any OF sung Mass in the country, and the liturgy is celebrated reverently in a beautiful (if small!) church.
  • toddevoss
    St. Vincent Ferrer in NYC (noon mass)
  • lmassery
    Mary, Queen of Peace, Cleveland OH. They celebrate both forms of the Mass and the OF is what I always imagined the “hermeneutic of continuity” to be.
  • Bri
    Basilica of St. Lawrence in Asheville, NC
    https://saintlawrencebasilica.org/
  • vansensei
    St. Mary's Cathedral in St. Cloud, Minnesota is a fine Mass with great attention to liturgy.