Lining up OF Readings and Propers to the EF cycle
  • EMH
    Hi there,

I want to eventually start using Gradual propers at my parish's English Ordinary Form mass. I am confused because the cycle of readings and propers seems to be different between the EF and the OF, and I want to make sure to use the correct propers from the EF calendar on a specific day in the OF, especially in ordinary time. Is there a document or a method that clarifies this?

I hope this made sense. Thanks,
    Emma
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I believe that the Gregorian Missal is set up this way. You can get it at the CMAA Bookstore.
    Thanked by 1WGS
  • tomjaw
    Dear Emma,

The Gregorian Missal is for the OF and has the Latin Propers,
    https://media.musicasacra.com/books/gregorianmissal-eng.pdf
    This should help you for most days, but do ask if you have any further questions, particularly for Feasts not in this book.

Regards,
    Tom
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen WGS
  • EMH,

Yes, you're right: the OF and EF don't line up.
    Thanked by 1WGS
  • a_f_hawkins
    The 1974 Graduale Romanum is available for download from the resources page, as is the Gregorian Missal, either gives the appropriate chants to match the OF three-year lectionary. GR1974 covers any propers, or commons, not in the Missal.
    Although is is perfectly licit, it does not conform to what GIRM states as the purpose, or at least it does so in a very different way, and much less easily understood.
    GIRM 61.After the First Reading follows the Responsorial Psalm, which is an integral part of the Liturgy of the Word and which has great liturgical and pastoral importance, since it fosters meditation on the Word of God. ...
    There is a great difference between in the way a congregation receives an elaborate meditative Latin chant of one verse with response by the schola, and a vernacular chant (reading) of several verses with their own repeated response. So you need to be clear why you choose to do it, and careful how you choose to do it. For example by giving the congregation the text in English (as the Gregorian Missal does)
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Graduals and other Propers are found in books called Graduales as well as the Liber and the aforementioned Gregorian Missal; Covid restrictions on congregational singing seem an excellent opportunity to try something different from Responsorial Psalms, as I did 2 weekends ago. We've touched on their 'apt'ness in other threads: Responsorial Psalms: remnants of the Propers? (2018) and Participation: Gradual vs. Responsorial Psalm (2007)

You might find what you're looking for in the English-language American Gradual, which has very clear rubrics explaining differences between OF and Anglican Kalendars. Comparing the EF & the 3-year lectionaries is something I undertook at CPDL's Category:Sacred music by season and Ordinary Time, still works in progress.
  • EMH
    This is all so helpful! Thanks so much!
  • tomjaw
    Dear Emma,
    I see others have referenced the Graduale Romanun (1974) here is the link to the pdf.
    https://media.musicasacra.com/books/graduale-romanum-1974.pdf All the books kindly scanned by the CMAA can be found here, https://musicasacra.com/resource-lists/
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen