EF Propers of Saint Gemma Galgani
  • aldrich
    Does anyone have a copy of the EF propers of Saint Gemma Galgani?
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • Chrism
    You might want to ask these people - perhaps they have a friendly archivist or musician.
  • Try contacting a more traditional leaning order of Passionists. She’s a relatively new saint (1940s), so she’s not on the regular liturgical calendar, but they do observe her feast day and would have prior to the liturgical reforms, so they may have what you’re looking for archived some place. They could also be the regular common of a virgin.
  • The Mass for Beatae Gemmae Gilgani was from the Common of Virgins ("Dilexísti") on May 14 per Promptuarium Chorale (1937) which includes proper prayers. After her cannonization in 1940, the Passionists celebrated her feast day on May 16, but I don't know if her Mass was changed as well.
    Thanked by 1aldrich
  • aldrich
    @Arthur, an entirely new Mass and Office was approved in 1945. I've managed to track down most of the Mass propers, but I still don't have the proper gradual (and tract and second alleluia for Votive Masses), as well as the complete collects. No luck on the Office so far.
  • Chrism
    The Acts of the Passionists from 1944-1945 might be of some help.
    Thanked by 1aldrich
  • @aldrich, if you share the texts for the gradual, tract and second alleluia, I can check to see what I've got. Was the new Mass for the Passionists or universal?
  • a_f_hawkins
    The text Chrism cites begins on p24 of the pdf. It seems to me that the SRC decree explicitly just extends to the Passionist congregation. I am puzzled that it seems to say that the Mass is "tota propria" and then only gives a selection (Introit, Epistle, one Alleluia, Gospel), and one oration.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • aldrich
    @Arthur, gradual, tract, and second alleluia (plus offertory) are the ones that I don't have. Based on the decree, the new set of propers was first used in the Passionist monastery in Lucca, which the decree extends to the entire Passionist congregation, together with a higher rank for the feast.

@Chrism, yeah, that one helps for the introit and the alleluia, as well as the proper readings.

@a_f_hawkins, that one oration is actually a conflation of all three proper collects, sections from the main collect, the secret, and the postcommunion concatenated in the text.
    Thanked by 2a_f_hawkins Chrism
  • Chrism
    If you make any progress, please post here! I'd be greatly interested in the three office hymns mentioned.
  • For the record, here are the prayers at Mass for B. Gemmae Galgani from the Promptuarium Chorale (1937) [Passionist]. They are no longer applicable based on the excerpts in the document linked to by Chrism above.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw aldrich