looking for French translation
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I was wondering if anyone on the forum can translate French to English well enough to tell me who the author is of this Method of Plain Chant.

I believe the melody of the hymn to St. Paul was taken from this collection of Plain Chant. Although the hymn shows 1782 and the book cover is 1815, I believe it to be the same composer.

The French Chant book is located: https://books.google.com/books?id=E9o0ceztFWEC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

• davido
    Is it not the Monsieur de la Feuillee referenced on the cover page?

I think there is a tune in the English hymnal that references la Feuillee and plainchant, but I can’t recall offhand what tune.
  • Don,

It does appear that Monseigneur de la Feuillee is the responsible party. I don't think this is the Louis Feuillee who pops up on internet searches, given that the publication is 1815 and he was dead by the middle of the 1700s, and based on the fact that nothing in Louis' biography suggests a musical bent or an ecclesiastical career.

Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • ServiamScores
    Feuilée is indeed the responsable party. It also says he’s a religious.
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • a_f_hawkins
    I think 1815 is just the printing date
    [Chants grégoriens]. De la Feuillée. Méthode nouvelle pour apprendre parfaitement les règles du plain-chant. 1 volume in-12 reliure cuir. Poitiers, 1754. for sale : here
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • Hawkins,

Yes, you're right. De la Feuillee didn't appear to have any musical background (in my cursory search) so the date wasn't the only support for my conjecture.
  • Our friend Jehan Boutte should be of help here - if he is tuned in.
    Curious that the hymn shown is a modern style hymn - not an example of plain-chant figure et musical as advertised on the title page. The tune itself is not bad but is rather unimaginative and predictable.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Feuillée (from feuille, leaf) is the leafy canopy used in religious processions or a camp latrine, as well as a not too uncommon name (ours is missing from both fr:WP dab and New Grove). Adam de la Halle wrote a Jeu de la feuillée; to go by the WP article he seems to be punning on folie.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Jehan_Boutte
    The author must be La Feuillée. And since he is called "Monsieur", he probably was a Sulpician.
  • FKulash
    I think 1815 is just the printing date

Or the date of a new (enlarged) edition, with the original author's name retained as part of the title, as in Webster's Dictionary or Butler's Lives of the Saints.