Classical Liberal Arts Music Curriculum
  • Hi! I'm a new contributor on this forum but have perused and enjoyed a number of discussions here in the past. I've been teaching Pre-K through 12th grade Music at a small Catholic, Classical Liberal Arts school in Vermont for the past 3 years. The school is in the process of incorporating the Classical Liberal Arts model into the lower grades and we are in search of a music curriculum that would help us to achieve our goal. The Art teacher has been using the Meet the Masters curriculum with great success; however, no such curriculum appears to exist for Music. I am looking for a curriculum that focuses on individual Classical Masters (like Bach and Mozart) and their individual trademarks/characteristics. Does anyone on this forum have any knowledge of or experience of such a curriculum? If not, is there any curriculum for K-8 that would be suitable for a Classical Liberal Arts school?
  • Welcome to the Forum.

I'm not completely sure I understand what you're looking for, but Justine Ward's method is often recommended to learn how to sing/play.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • You might well look into the RSCM (Royal School of Church Music), which has admirable tutorials for all age groups. You'll not find its equal elsewhere.
  • Nisi
    Welcome! Is singing a priority in designing a music curriculum for the children? If so, the Ward Method is the best, as it's based on Traditional Catholic music, the free rhythm of Gregorian chant, and solfege.
  • doneill
    I teach music at a classical school and would be glad to talk with you about it. No, there isn't really a good set curriculum you can just buy and use, but there are some good resources out there. Send me a message and maybe we can set up a time to video chat. I' m also planning to be at the ICLE conference in St. Paul if you'd like to meet in person. Although the landscape is gradually improving, there still aren't many of us out there doing this stuff, and it's good to have the dialogue for exchange of ideas and camaraderie.
  • francis
    I teach at an independent Roman Catholic classical liberal arts school, grades pre-k through 8.

We have a schola of 20 children, 3rd-8th grade.

All grades learn the theory of chant, (nueme names, solfeg, intervals) modern notation, music listening, harmonic series, modal (church) and modern music theory...

The choir sings for liturgy every week, mostly singing from the Kyriale and the great Gregorian hymns from the Church, the school follows along... and sings along as they are able singing the top 100 SATB hymns (texts employ unadulterated Roman Catholic theology) for the liturgical year...

We also listen to the historical great composers including: Ancient & Early Music, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionism, 20th Century and more. (Mozart takes his rightful place... you all know what I mean... those who know me...)

They learn about the Morality of Music, based on Plato, Aristotle, Augustine, and later, Tames, Cole and [Koerber ("what you listen to, is what you become") [some of the children shudder during this class and make groaning noises]

We offer my original music (and multi-media) productions that promote private devotions to the Sacred Heart, Immaculate Heart, Rosary, Adoration of the Holy Face, Reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Fatima, and more.

They learn about the history and singing of American Folk Music, the roots of Jazz (New Orleans), and hit on Gershwin, Bebop, Big Band, etc., Cowboy Western.

Nothing is left untouched and everything from the perspective of the power of and spirituality of music from both the heavenly and worldly perspective, its benefits and dangers.

It is quite engaging, and they never know what is coming next....

• JoAnna
    The Ward Method is fantastic and goes well with classical education philosophy. The music teacher at Stella Maris Academy in San Francisco, CA, uses it. They just switched to classical ed last year and she has a great explanation of why it fits with that philosphy. Our school is considering the switch to classical as well (hoping it happens!) and I will continue to use Ward. For more info here are some links:

https://music.catholic.edu/faculty-and-research/areas-of-research/ward-method-studies/ward-method/index.html

https://musicasacra.com/music-pedagogy-for-children/ward-method-instruction/

Dr. Donelson will offer this class July 18-22 this summer; I will post a link when I get it.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Bri
  • francis
    I have been in workshops for Ward, and it looks interesting, but it seems as though it would need to be more than once a week... and, we have general music, so I am not only covering choral music, but the entire program... is my assessment somewhat correct?
  • Nisi
    The Ward Method was designed to be taught in Catholic schools in the "old days", if you will, for 20 min., five days a week, and needs to be adapted in order to work in our present situations. All of the elements of the method can be used in various combinations and ways, and each is brilliant in its own way - solfege exercises (which are called intonation exercises, and are graded and practically endless, each building upon the previous lesson), rhythm exercises with visual patterns (many unique to the free rhythm of plainsong), performing rhythm patterns in a variety of ways and based on the "song of the day", conducting (the children conduct their own singing using a set of "rhythm gestures"), solfege in every part of every lesson, physical activities in every lesson, and creative activities. The structure of each Ward lesson follows the same pattern, from warm-ups to the singing of the song or chant at the end. In a good Ward class, there is very little talking and a lot of singing!
    Thanked by 2francis Bri
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Catholic University of America has updated the Ward curriculum several times. The latest version of the books can be bought through their bookstore.
  • Nisi
    Catholic University of America has updated the Ward curriculum several times. The latest version of the books can be bought through their bookstore.

That is true, and the revisions were made by Theodore Marier in the 1970s - but they still follow old daily model. A beautiful, modern version was made by the Dutch Ward Director but was rejected by the Ward Center in Washington, DC.
  • chonakchonak
    A beautiful, modern version was made by the Dutch Ward Director but was rejected by the Ward Center in Washington, DC.

Does that refer to CMAA's publication, Now I Walk In Beauty?
  • Nisi
    No, it was a complete revision of Book I of the Ward Method. I have never seen it. Now I Walk in Beauty is a wonderful book too!