Introducing Source & Summit Missal
  • Hello everyone. I'm thrilled to announce the launch of the new Source & Summit Missal, which integrates fully with the Source & Summit digital platform and is coming to a parish near you this fall. The Source & Summit Missal builds upon the Lumen Christi Missal, Hymnal, and Simple Gradual, and is expanded and geared toward broader parish use. It is an ANNUAL missal, which we have done intentionally due to the new translation of the US Lectionary that is coming in 2025. Hence, it's not a good time to invest in a permanent missal or hymnal that will be obsolete in 3 years. Once the new Lectionary is in place, we plan to continue with beautiful and long lasting permanent resources. If your parish cancelled its annual missal subscription last year, this is a great opportunity to make a switch and elevate the liturgy in your parish. Click here to learn more and to see sample contents:

https://www.sourceandsummit.com/missal
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • Also, I'm really glad to have the Angel Gabriel, a Catholic angel, sounding a trumpet on the cover :)
  • mattebery
    What in the Lectionary is changing and how do you know it will be in 2025?
  • A new edition has been in preparation for some 15 years now, and it will be a complete new translation. The Lectionary is part of the Roman Missal, and is expected to be revised just as the Missal was in 2011 according to Liturgiam Authenticam. The USCCB Secretariat for Divine Worship estimates that the new US Lectionary will be released in 2025.
  • After reading another thread about weekday Psalms, I sent for a perusal copy, of which they generously sent two, 2022 & 2023. I can only offer feedback about the pew edition though, which does not have music for non-Sunday pericopes; the website doesn't clarify if there are choir/organ editions, from which a sample page would be welcome. There's no preface stating the open-source rationale, and one or two pages have copyright notices without dates.

Although I'm not moved to abandon the devil I already know, it is impresive to have a large selection of Spanish hymns in the same volume. Perhaps I'll have another look when a permanent book is ready.

One or two things made me smile: an alphabetical index (~40 pages from the back of the book) to a hymnal arranged in alphabetical order, so without checking the tune index (omitted from 2023?) you might not guess that besides Parce Domine there's also a Spare us Lord our God but no Ten piedad for Ash Wednesday, our biggest bilingual service. As apostrophes precede A, 'Tis good Lord, to be here precedes A child is Born in 2022, but no longer in 2023. And is it just me, or do other stiff upper lips tremble at lines like "Christ the Cornerstone from heaven, came to make the arch complete" for WESTMINSTER ABBY? (I see this was dropped for 2023; both vols. have "Christ is made the sure foundation".)

Musically I have a few reservations: NUN DANKET appears in the dread OCP version of the tune that fits neither JSB's nor Mendelssohn's harmonization. More grave is the omission of Victimae (the text is given plain, but in the singing version "Christians, praise the Paschal…) and Veni Sancte, let alone Ecce Panis. Ubi Caritas is in full found among hymns, both under U and at W (Spanish missing again) but as a refrain with plain text verses in the pericope section, with no pointer to the other section for them, nor for Pange lingua.

I hope you'll keep tinkering! Pointing for Responsorial Psalms would be really nice, and the formatting with slashes instead of line breaks is quite regrettable. Why not use the very wide bottom margins in Stations of the Cross for music?