Non vos relinquam orphanos (Charles H. Giffen), SSAB, SATB, ATBB
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Note: The CPDL link contains both the original and revised versions (the revised version being my personal preference) of this work.

When I published Non vos relinquam orphanos/"I will not leave you comfortless" at CPDL on April 20, 2011, little did I know that just 46 days later on Sunday June 5, 2011, it would be sung at Christ Church Cathedral in Montreal.

For a piece written in octatonic mode, this seemed a remarkable feat, but made me realize that it is much more singable than I thought. It helps that the initial two-part motif in the upper two voices is subsequently repeated, in inversion, by the two lower voices, and then, finally, both the motif and its inversion are combined in a double canon.

The text underlay includes both the Latin original and and English translation.

I have recently revoiced the original key piece as SSAB, and have transposed it downwards by three semitones for SATB. Scores for these, and the ATBB version (also at CPDL) which is down another three semitones, are attached here, along with an MP3 sound file for the new SATB version. Note: these attachments are the original version.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • WendiWendi
    Oooh thanks. I'm always looking for SSAB stuff.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thank you for this lovely and intriguing music, very suitable for this time of year. Somehow it calls to my mind the phrase "vagaries of the wind." It also reminds me of The Lamb by Sir John Tavener.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Charles, just wanted to let you know I downloaded the SATB version and showed it to my son who loves tinkering around with scales and chords, and we were amazed at the chords and harmonies, esp. the final Amen and Alleluia.

This verse keeps coming to mind when I hear this piece:

"The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit."
    John 3:8.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    A Giffen piece will do that to ya.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thank you Julie. I think you captured my own mindset in the composition of this piece.
  • CharlesW
    Charles, you are too danged talented. I almost hate you - LOL.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    I'm just grateful over here.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    CHG

That is a very innovative piece. I can see why people are grabbing it up. Mystical and beautiful. Did the choir record it? We would all love to hear it! Bravo!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    francis ...

Thank you! Unfortunately the piece has not been recorded, to the best of my knowledge. But that may be remedied this autumn, if I can put together the right group for a recording session of some of my works.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I've just learned that my (octatonic scale) setting of "Non vos relinquam orphanos" will be sung by The Gentlemen of the Choir as the anthem at the Festal Evensong on Sunday, May 16, 202, at 3:00 p.m. EDT at St. Thomas Church, Fifth Avenue, NYC. The service will be webcast live. See:

https://www.saintthomaschurch.org/events/festal-evensong-2021-05-16/

I'm not sure but I'm guessing that the version being sung is the one attached (for ATBarB voices).
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    *bump*
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Non vos relinquam orphanos - Charles H. Giffen
    Festal Evensong, Sunday, May 16, 2021
    Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue, New York

https://vimeo.com/547236195#t=2384s
  • vansensei
    Not only is it lovely, but crazy as well. In the best way.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Just a heads up. The Gentlemen of the Choir (full complement, not just a few, singers) at St Thomas Church will again sing Non vos relinquam orphanos at the 5:30 p.m. (EDT) Choral Evensong on Wednesday, October 20th, 2021.

https://www.saintthomaschurch.org/events/choral-evensong-2021-10-20/

Thanked by 1Heath
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    *bumping* for today's Choral Evensong at St. Thomas Church, Fifth Avenue, NYC, 5:30 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (4:30 p.m. Central Daylight Time).

The Gentlemen of the Choir should be at full strength (12 singers) as they were at yesterday's Choral Evensong (which was dignified, contemplative, and eloquent).
    Thanked by 2sdtalley3 m_r_taylor
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Non vos relinquam orphanos - Charles H. Giffen
    Choral Evensong, Wednesday, October 20, 2021
    Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue, New York

https://vimeo.com/636669683#t=2622s