gabc notation
  • My code for gabc notation is not working. Can anyone figure out why? Here it is:

name: ;
    user-notes: ;
    commentary: ;
    annotation: ;
    centering-scheme: english;
    %fontsize: 12;
    %spacing: vichi;
    %font: OFLSortsMillGoudy;
    %width: 4.5;
    %height: 11;
    %%
    (c3) Give(e) praise(f) to(g) the(g) Lord(g), for(f) he(g) is(e) good(e); * his(g) mercy(g) en(e)dures(f) for(g)ev(f)er(e). / Let(g) the(g) house(g) of(f) Is(g)rael(e) say(e), * "His(g) mercy(g) en(e)dures(f) for(g)ev(f)er(e)."

His(g) right(g) hand(g) is(g) ex(f)alt(g)ed.(e) * The(g) Lord's(g) right(g) hand(g) has(g) done(e) migh(f)ty(g) deeds(fe). I(g) shall(g) not(g) die(g), / I(f) shall(g) live(e) * and(g) recount(g) the(g) deeds(e) of(f) the(g) Lord(fe).

The(e) stone(f) that(g) the(g) build(g)ers(f) re(g)jected(e) * has(g) become(g) the(e) cor(fg)ner(f)stone(e). / By(g) the(g) Lord(g) has(f) this(g) been(e) done(e), * a(g) mar(g)vel(e) in(f) our(g) eyes(fe).
  • MarkB
    Worked fine in Source and Summit's new editor:
    https://editor.sourceandsummit.com/alpha/

Exported a pdf without any problems. Older editors do generate a syntax error.
  • madorganist
    Try putting all of the punctuation before the parentheses.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, moving the punctuation does it. Here's the revised GABC code, and it works fine at http://run.gregoriochant.org .

I also threw in some code to add vertical bars and line breaks; see the PDF file below for the output.

name: ;
    user-notes: ;
    commentary: ;
    annotation: ;
    centering-scheme: english;
    %%
    (c3) Give(e) praise(f) to(g) the(g) Lord,(g) for(f) he(g) is(e) good;(e) *(;) his(g) mercy(g) en(e)dures(f) for(g)ev(f)er.(e) (:) Let(g) the(g) house(g) of(f) Is(g)rael(e) say,(e) *(;) “His(g) mercy(g) en(e)dures(f) for(g)ev(f)er."(e) (::) (Z)

His(g) right(g) hand(g) is(g) ex(f)alt(g)ed.(e) *(;) The(g) Lord's(g) right(g) hand(g) has(g) done(e) migh(f)ty(g) deeds.(fe) (:) I(g) shall(g) not(g) die,(g) (,) I(f) shall(g) live(e) *(;) and(g) recount(g) the(g) deeds(e) of(f) the(g) Lord.(fe) (::)(Z)

The(e) stone(f) that(g) the(g) build(g)ers(f) re(g)jected(e) *(;) has(g) become(g) the(e) cor(fg)ner(f)stone.(e) (:) By(g) the(g) Lord(g) has(f) this(g) been(e) done,(e) *(;) a(g) mar(g)vel(e) in(f) our(g) eyes.(fe) (::)
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    There's a little proofreading remaining. I haven't had to deal with ellisions recently: is there a newer way than
    * "His(g) mer(g)cy___en(e)dures(f) for(g)ev(f)er."(e) ?
  • chonakchonak
    I use the 'undertie' character to represent elisions: (‿) , but in this case I expect that the failure to treat "mercy" as two syllables was probably just an oversight.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Ah! ‿ is Alt + 8255 or U+203F, seemingly unavailable on my Mac's usual keyboard.
    (•™∞∞ or with unicode hex input, 艕, a character translated as 'shack'.)
  • chonakchonak
    I usually just copy/paste the character, rather than typing the Unicode for it.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • MatthewRoth
    I use a Mac too, and installing the Unicode keyboard via the system preferences is great, because I frequently need special characters (thin unbreakable spaces, thin spaces, the versicle and response characters, the Maltese cross…); the downside is forgetting to change back. ‿ came out with U+203F when I switched. Then you just press Option + 203F in that order and holding option the entire time, voilà, you have the character.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix