Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross Liturgy
  • Dear All,

Our Monastery has as Principal Patroness, Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross. Since she is a new Saint it is incredibly difficult to find anything proper to her... at least here in the states.

I know in Europe it is Elevated to a Feast, which is how we will celebrate it according to our Liturgical Rule. Does anyone know if in Europe there is a proper Office with specific antiphons in Latin or English for her feast any EF or OF... Anything might help.

I also noticed some old threads on some hymnody and I am wondering if there has been any recent work on hymns for the Saint. I am looking specifically for things for the Divine Office. Thanks so much.

Sister Marie
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    For now, I only have the proper texts for the Mass for you. It's running late here, so I will look tomorrow if I have anything else for you.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Again I recommend the Universalis programs and apps. For a modest one-time fee you get perpetual access on any device to any Calendar and OF liturgy in the English speaking world (and elsewhere, and to the Latin). https://universalis.com/
    Yes there is a proper 2nd reading for the Office of Readings, and appropriate antiphons.
    Thanked by 1monasteryliturgist
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The feast uses the Common of Virgins or the Common of Martyrs. There are no proper readings at Mass (at least, not in the Netherlands as far as I know – I'll check Sunday in the lectionary).

For the Office, your have the following proper antiphons and texts (for Latin texts see also at Almundi)

Office of readings
    Lectio altera: ‘Kreuzeswissenschaft’ in: L. Gelber, R. Leuven (ed.), Edith Steins Werke, volume I, Ch. 1, §2. Freiburg 1983, p. 15-16. In Latin at Almundi, in German at wikisource (from “Christus hat das Joch des Gesetzes auf sich genommen...” to “Dann fluten die Ströme des göttlichen Lichtes heraus...”)
    R Gal 2, 19-20

Proper antiphons according to OCO 2015:
    B Tamquam aurum (CAO 5100, RM 176)
    M Nos autem gloriari (CAO 3953, ARII 645, LU 1460)

Vespers according to AR II:
    H Virginis Proles
    A1 Veni, electa mea (Ps 121)
    A2 Beati mundo corde (Ps 126)
    A3 Mens mea solidata est (Eph 1, 3-10)
    Lectio brevis 1 Petr 4, 13-14
    R Probasti nos
    M Sanctum est verum lumen (CAO 4768)
  • Because she is a new saint, in the EF you would use the common propers for a virgin martyr.
    Thanked by 1monasteryliturgist
  • a_f_hawkins
    The Collect seems to be proper, and the readings to be specific selections

Monday 9 August 2021
    Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein), Virgin, Martyr - Feast 
    Liturgical Colour: Red.

Collect

God of our Fathers,
    who brought the Martyr Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross
    to know your crucified Son
    and to imitate him even until death,
    grant, through her intercession,
    that the whole human race may acknowledge Christ as its Saviour
    and through him come to behold you for eternity.
    Who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
    God, for ever and ever.

First reading
    Hosea 2:16,17,21-22 ·
    Responsorial Psalm
    Psalm 44(45):11-12,14-17
    Gospel
    Matthew 25:1-13

Collecta

Deus patrum nostrórum,
    qui beátam Terésiam Benedíctam mártyrem
    ad cognitiónem Fílii tui crucifíxi
    eiúsque imitatiónem usque ad mortem perduxísti,
    ipsa intercedénte, concéde,
    ut omnes hómines Christum Salvatórem agnóscant
    et per eum ad perpétuam tui visiónem advéniant.
    Qui tecum vivit et regnat in unitáte Spíritus Sancti, Deus,
    per ómnia sǽcula sæculórum.
  • @smvanroode Is there a way to find the antiphons for Canticles of for Vigils In Office of Readings on the link https://www.almudi.org/images/Portals/0/docs/Breviario/fuentes/breviario.php?tiempo=3

For a common of a martyr "I shall fill up in my body what is lacking from the sufferings of Christ for his body, the Church."
  • joerg
    Edith Stein has herself written a number of hymns (all in German of course except for a second verse of "Flos Carmeli"). Some time ago I have set them to (mostly English) tunes. Maybe you're interested in this work -- also the letters are very moving.
  • @joerg Thank you so much this is great!