Request for prayers - Ontario closing churches for a third time
  • I know there has been a general request from some to have a moratorium on COVID-related topics, but I feel a need to address this.

For the third time since the beginning of the pandemic, the Ontario government has decided to shut down churches in the entire province, limiting from what was previously 15% capacity to a staggering 10 people per church.

I have no words, other than to desperately ask for your prayers that our archbishop will stand up to the tyranny of the government, the likes of which are only seen in Ireland and here. The mental, spiritual, and physical devastation of this move will be unprecedented. Without debating the severity of the pandemic and the necessity of measures, all I can ask for now is your prayers.

[Edited.--admin]
  • canadashcanadash
    Amen. Devastating.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • You may rest assured of my prayers for yourself and the Church in Ontario.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I'm so sorry.

Bishop Schneider mentioned, last night, the various things people might want to prepare to have within their houses for Masses that might have to be said outside of proper churches.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    My prayers are with you and the Church there in Ontario.
  • I have pretty much everything in my house needed to say a Mass - even vestments, missal, etc. I'm just missing a chalice and paten. And you don't want to know the amount of thuribles I collect...

I'm actually hoping that I'll be able to have a priest say Mass at my house post-pandemic, or even after this draconian lockdown.
  • Casavant -
    I'm sure that your collection of thuribles is admirable. It's always good to have more than one thuribler in a procession, four on great feasts. Also, when celebrating a Te Deum after mass (or any other time) it is really essential to have two thuriblers facing one another at opposite ends of the altar while doing 'Queen Annes' (swinging their thuribles overhead in great full circles). How many do you have?

I shall keep all in Ontario in my prayers. I love Canada and have been through Ontario a number of times.
    Thanked by 1CatherineS
  • I have 4 thuribles and a fifth one with a broken middle chain... it came broken and I got a replacement for it. Most of them were purchased from Biretta Books, which gets its supply from Sudbury Brass. Some say the quality at SB is not great but I'd beg to differ - I have 3 of their bell sets and 4 of their thuribles, and with exception of the defective thurible, they've proven to be more or less indestructible.

Oh, and I should mention that I've probably ticked off most of my neighbours by burning too much incense in my backyard. LOL
  • Andrew_Malton
    We have in our house a missal and a lectionary and several cantors, and at this point quite a lot of practice. We say and sing the fore-mass, and someone reads a sermon.

We are mortally tired of it all.
  • The violation of Charter Rights and Freedoms regarding lockdown and restrictions placed on places of worship in Alberta is yet to go to court in early May. Unfortunately the Alberta provincial government is trying to get it adjourned until September in order to get more time to gather scientific evidence of the need for church lockdowns and restrictions. While it’s in Alberta, with the way Canada’s court system and laws work, it will set a precedent for other provinces and territories throughout Canada.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • MatthewRoth
    Well, that's annoying; the government should have the evidence that it needs, now, if they're going to infringe on "religious freedom." By the time that September rolls around, one would hope that the pandemic has substantially subsided and therefore there will be no need for restrictions, or at least they will be much less severe, ergo there is no reason to sue, practically speaking or in such a way that affects standing.

Luckily, the courts can turn to the US and even to other jurisdictions to get the government of Alberta on track. That said, I have little trust in Canadian jurisrudence, so I'm not holding my breath.
  • CatherineS
    Prayers for you! The number of home chapels that will be ready for use after another year of this will sustain us all through hard times!!
  • Well, that's annoying; the government should have the evidence that it needs, now, if they're going to infringe on "religious freedom." By the time that September rolls around, one would hope that the pandemic has substantially subsided and therefore there will be no need for restrictions, or at least they will be much less severe, ergo there is no reason to sue, practically speaking or in such a way that affects standing.

They had a year to gather their evidence. That’s precisely what they’re doing.