Propers for Quinceañera Mass?
  • JMJones
    We were asked to provide music for a Quinceañera Mass in a couple weeks, and I feel totally ill-equipped to meet the need. My organist (husband) speaks Spanish decently, but I (the cantor) don't, though I can sing it if I practice. We typically do Latin ordinaries (which I think we could still do) and vernacular propers... which leads to the question of what propers would we do? It's apparently a Mass of Thanksgiving, but I don't see propers for that exactly in the Graduale Romanum, much less Spanish versions of them. I see Fr. Matthew Spencer posted a while back propers for a votive Mass for the Blessed Virgin Mary in Spanish that I could consider, but I'm not seeing a way to download those from the link. We also don't have a Spanish hymnal, much less the command of the language necessary to evaluate the theological qualities of the songs there. We have the St. Michael Hymnal, which has a couple handfuls of Spanish songs (some traditional, some translated from Latin or other languages), and I think I can generally trust those to be theologically sound, right?
  • a_f_hawkins
    There are previous threads on the forum. If you go to the main Discussion page there is a search box, (top of column on the right) which will throw up some of them. Such as
    https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/6951/quinceanera-music/p1
  • JMJones
    Yes, I have ready through many, many threads on this today. I haven't found any threads that have addressed propers, and most of the links on the subject are defunct.
  • ServiamScores
    While I’m not sure which propers would be appropriate (if there even are any...) yahoogle “Spanish propers project” and you’ll find many chants translated into Spanish. It’s an excellent resource.
  • JMJones
    We'd prefer to sing propers for the Mass where appropriate rather than just hymns.
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • JMJones
    Serviam, I agree that it is a great resource. I see propers there for various Marian feasts that I might be able to use to pull something together. Not sure what propers would be appropriate for a general "Mass of Thanksgiving." Is this something in the RM? I don't see it in the GR and don't have a copy of the RM on hand.
  • ServiamScores
    Here’s the note in my missal:
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    Thanked by 2CCooze JMJones
  • ServiamScores
    It looks like you get your pick. Considering the nature of a quinceanera, I would probably go for something Marion or something imploring the Holy Ghost to descend upon the young lady.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    You can sometimes have luck with dead links by forging ahead using "search":
    Order of Service specifies either the Mass of the day or Readings for (26) Mass of Thanksgiving, suggesting a Te Deum/ or even GROSSER GOTT (Fr. Krisman made a version for Oremos Cantando, but I think there's a PD translation too).
    In the LU the Votive Mass Pro Gratiarum Actione (p.1103) points to Propers for Trinity, Holy Spirit, Marian Masses, "or another canonized Saint".
    Thanked by 1JMJones
  • chonakchonak
    In case it might be helpful, here is a link to one diocese's document on Quinceañera celebrations:
    https://toledodiocese.org/images/uploads/page_assets/Hispanic Ministries/DIODOCSEVANGguidelinesforthecelebrationofthequinceanos.pdf

A web search for "BENDICIÓN AL CUMPLIR QUINCE AÑOS" brings up Spanish texts for the observance.
    Thanked by 1JMJones
  • JMJones
    Readings for (26) Mass of Thanksgiving

I see right below that a new 26A "For Giving Thanks fot (to?) God for the Gift of Human Life." I wonder if that would be appropriate too? I'm assuming I'm going to need to come up with my own Alleluia verse...
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    For Gospel Acclamations I do my best to find out what the Gospel will be: at funerals I usually have to do this on the fly. The second option for 26., Matth. 25, looks very familiar and the Lectionary index shows it comes from OT 14A, so Venite ad me (already in my funeral folder) is a possibility for that reading, though Te doy gracias seems somehow apter.