Computer geeks who also speak layman's English: please help
  • The Linux OS I'm experimenting with is 1.9 GB....
  • Ted
    bhcordova:
    My first home computer was a Commodore VIC20. I even modified a cassette player/recorder to store data for it. I heard last year that it is making a comeback as a nostalgia item, with added USB and HDMI ports! Had I known that there was a Commodore store for a while about a block away from my house at the time, it is possible that I would have bought a Commodore as my first 16 bit PC.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW bhcordova
  • francis
    Still have a Mac+
  • quilisma
    My first was a Vic20 also. 3.5k of RAM if I remember rightly, boosted to a whopping 16k with an expansion pack!
    I've got a C64 knocking round in the garage, but I don't know whether it works.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    My first was an Apple IIe with 16kB RAM, which I expanded to 64kB after several months. I was on a visiting position at Northwestern University at the time, following the death of my first wife, and the IBM PC was the machine of choice there - as well as back at the University of Virginia when I returned - so I never pursued Apple products after that. Eventually, after a department flirtation with Sun Systems Unix machines (and terminals/workstations), the dust settled and Windows based PCs took over.

My current Windows laptop (HP Envy) is still working rather well after some 7 years.

• Ted
    While we are on the subject, and not a few own old laptops running Windows it seems, I would like to re-iterate how important it is to upgrade an old mechanical hard drive to a SSD (Solid State Drive) to make Windows 10 run smoothly and adequately speedwise, even if only SATA I is supported by the hardware. For an old two core CPU laptop with at least 4gb of RAM, it can effectively increase the speed of the computer by 4X, making Windows 10 quite runnable. The frequent culprits in maxing out computers are the browsers which hog RAM memory because they cache all the web pages and their images that you visit into RAM. For humble computers, do not open many tabs on the browser, only a small handful at most. If you run Windows Task Manager, watch the memory usage for the running apps and you will see what I mean. Once your available free RAM starts running low, Windows starts storing the active data in the hard drive. Even though your hard drive is SSD, there is an overhead penalty to pay as Windows has to process the excess RAM data into hard drive storage using the CPU, slowing down the computer considerably. Increasing RAM capacity, then, is also very important because so many apps today are memory hogs, but older laptops are usually limited on this, often at 4gb.

If you upgrade to SSD on a computer with a Linux OS, you will create a computer speed demon, but still be mindful of the browser issue if you have limited RAM.

There is a lot of free Windows software on the Internet to clone an old hard drive onto a SSD. I found EaseUS Partition Master very good especially if your SSD is of slightly less capacity than the original old drive (and of course if there is room for your old data).
  • CharlesW
    Some really good information on these posts. Thanks, guys!
  • ServiamScores
    I agree with Ted about the ssd. We did this to my 7 year old Mac mini and it instantly became much more usable.
  • Ted
    ServiamScores:
    I did not mention Macs because trying to install a SSD on one left me with a bitter taste. It turned out the Mac laptop I was working with was very picky on which SSD it was compatible with, something non-Mac laptops do not care about. After spending hours trying to figure out why I was having such a problem with something that should have been easy, I found out that the Mac laptop would not work with the SSD manufactured by Silicon Power I wanted to use. Ended up having to clone a Windows SSD that I had been using (Samsung EVO I think) onto the SP, and then use that one instead. But instead of cloning the original Mac hard drive, I thought I would start completely fresh, as I would sometimes with an older Windows or Linux machine. Trying to download the Mac operating system from Apple proved to be another challenge, finally having to get hacking tools to fresh install a Mac OS onto the new drive and then updating it from Apple. Apple seems to make it unusually difficult to upgrade their devices with third party quality parts, so I just avoid Apple.
  • francis
    Apple is not for messing with... use as is with original OS version... do not upgrade anything. Mine work flawlessly for many years. Not for hackers. For creatives really.
  • ServiamScores
    I agree that their computers are a pain to swap out parts, but the fact remains that a mac mini is a rather straightforward process (at least the old, non-soldered versions are) even if there are many delicate steps involved. Regardless, the performance of my machine greatly improved, hence my attestation that the idea of adding an SSD when the rest of the machine can't be changed is a good bang-for-the-buck improvement. YMMV.
  • CharlesW
    I never could justify the additional cost of Apple equipment. When I taught computer science for 10 years, the school had all Windows machines so I used Windows at home for compatibility. Some of the Apple fans I have known seemed part of a cult following.

I recently got a new phone and Comcast sold me an iPhone for $200. less than a comparable android. I don't like it and find it much harder to use and less flexible. Going back to android when the contract is up.
  • Ted
    Francis:
    To be a hacker you have to be very creative.
    In the computer world, upgrading computers by stage is normal for individuals and small business. In large corporate settings, replacing is usually the better option because it is less labour intensive and faster to do, and they get longer use from new equipment under warranty. Firms have plenty of money to budget for this, but not me.

ServiamScores:
    I have to admit that before having the problem with the Mac laptop, I somewhat earlier actually had upgraded an even older Mac laptop to SSD, and only had the frustrating issue of how to fresh install a Mac OS on a new SSD. But I was successful, and learned a lot about Mac laptops. They seem to be generally well built. Unfortunately, it could only accept an OS up to a certain version, so I donated it away since I was not really using it much and it helped the individual.

But with the newer Mac laptop, I was not pleased. SATA interface had been standardised for years, so why would I have to research to see if a particular SATA SSD model is compatible with particular Mac laptop model? So if one wants to upgrade a Mac laptop to SSD, fine and it can be done, but beware of buying third party parts....do the research first. Apple goes out of its way to lock you in to their high profit business model.

• Ted
    While on the subject of SSDs, I should mention that at this point in time there are two types on the market. One has the older SATA interface and is still the most common; the other is the newer NvMe. They are not compatible with each other. Older laptops generally use SATA, but the newest ones, including Macs, use NvMe, usually in the M.2 form which is a small circuit board resembling a RAM module.

The difference between the two is speed, and it is a big difference. SATA was designed for the old clunker mechanical hard drives as a standard way of linking the slow drive to the much faster computer hardware. When SSDs were developed they used the SATA interface so as to easily replace mechanical clunkers by just swapping them.

But SSDs are fast solid state devices, so they really do not need a complicated interface with the computer hardware. This is where the NvMe type comes in. NvMe's interface directly with the computer data bus (PCIe) which the CPU itself uses. In other words, the CPU can almost directly address the data on the NvMe, producing a huge increase in speed.

Unfortunately, NvMe's can only boot on computers that are designed to accept them. Yes, there are PCIe adpters for NvMe. Because the NvMe resides on the main PCIe bus, the motherboard BIOS has to know this to boot from it. Older BIOSes can only boot a drive using the SATA interface. This is also the case with older UEFI BIOSes. There may be hacks for the UEFI BIOS, but that is a whole other project. In fact I have one computer with an older UEFI BIOS, which I boot from a NvMe by using an old clunker only as the tiny initial boot drive for Hackintosh boot manager tools on it from which I then boot Windows on the NvMe. Yes, the speed is phenomenal!

In short, if you are going to buy a new computer, make sure it has or can have a bootable NvMe SSD. Because SATA SSDs are still cheaper, I have seen NvMe friendly laptops being sold at a good price, but they contain only a SATA SSD, not the more expensive and much faster NvMe.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Schönbergian
    NVMe drives presently don't hold much of a price premium, if any, over SATA drives of the same capacity level. On the flip side, SATA drives are perfectly fine for 99% of workloads (unless you know you need an NVMe drive)
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    @Ted, most computer users I know don't upgrade parts. They treat the computer like an appliance - They use it until it breaks and then buy a new one. I work for a small company, and we don't even try to upgrade specific parts. It's really more trouble than it's worth.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW MatthewRoth
  • Schönbergian
    It took me 30 minutes or less to install a new SSD in an old computer, including initializing the new drive in Windows. It's really not much trouble if you're decently aware of what you're doing.
  • francis
    Ted

Forgive. I did not mean you are not creative by any means.

What I mean by creative is probably better elucidated by saying 'right brain'... I also have a comparison of Mac to PC which is 'right brain' as opposed to 'left brain'. As a 'creative', I am not at all interested in the mechanics, the machine, the inner workings of what makes a computer tic. I could very well wander into that realm, but I choose to spend ALL of my time playing the music, not building the instrument, so to speak. My apps are mostly 'creative (drag and drop)'... Adobe Cloud (publishing: Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat), Sibelius (composing), Studio and GarageBand (audio production, sequencing), Movie (video production), and then the great onboard well developed apps for Photos, Calendar, Contacts, Mail, Browsing, Music, Calculator, etc.

It always works, never have problems, buy it and run it out of the box, never think about the hardware ever again (unless a fan burns out or a hard drive gives out which is rare). As bhcordova says, for us types its an appliance. Nothing more.

I always wanted to wander into the 'left brain' part of computing, am fascinated with SSH, line level commands, and programming, but always stopped at the gate which said, 'once you enter here you cannot go back...'. So, I made a permanent decision to see it only as an appliance that fosters the 'creative' right brain in the use of applications.

Hope that helps better explain my devotion to an appliance. Apple is the only 'appliance based computer' that I know of, otherwise I would gladly look at another. I guess that is why Apple's catchphrase was always 'Think Different'. For me, it was 'right brain thinking' when most of the world is 'left brain thinking.'

PS... I do drag my left brain kicking and screaming into my right as I compose fugues and symphonic works, play the pipe organ, tune and repair (real) pianos, harpsichords and an organ pipe here or there, and also craft fine wood and metal works, however!
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • Ted
    Schönbergian:
    Yes I agree that prices for SSDs and NvMes are rapidly getting closer to each other. But nevertheless, I was surprised that NvMe boot capable laptops were still being sold with only SATA SSDs in them just after at Christmas, but at a nice price. Probably old stock they wanted to get rid of ASAP.

I also agree that it does not take long to swap a clunker with a SSD on a Windows machine. Cloning can take time though depending on capacity and the speed of the bus/port one is using. For most laptops I just use a SATA to USB interface with the SSD, and once the cloning gets going it needs no attention. Most older laptops only have USB 2.0 at best, so the data transfer can take some time. On a desktop, one can connect the SATA SSD internally to another SATA port for cloning, so that is much faster. If one wants to to start from scratch with the OS and apps, though, that will take some time and effort. When a lot of apps were involved, I have used PCMover successfully to transfer a mountain of working apps from one computer to the other, but it will not transfer all apps.

Also agree that for most people whether SATA or NvMe will make little difference. For gamers, of which there are few in the Mac world by the way, and for people like me who need brute power and speed for video production and rendering, it does. But if one is to fork out a huge sum of money for a new laptop, it would make better sense to get something that will still be easily upgradeable in ten years. How many SATA SSDs will still be manufactured in ten years? But I am pretty sure that 20tb NvMes will be dirt cheap then.
  • Note to admin: this thread appears to have run its course.
  • CharlesW
    I am learning some very good things from this thread. Keep posting.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen