Rodgers Digital Organ - Infinity Series
  • Hello everyone! I am interested in your opinions on the Rodgers digital organ, specifically the Infinity Series 361. The organ we are considering for our church was never sold, but it was rented to a church for several years. The organ now is 7 years old and seems to be in very good condition.
    1) Your opinions on this specific organ, please.
    2) Thoughts on purchasing a 7 year old digital organ.
    Your input is much appreciated!
    ~ Krys
  • CharlesW
    I would get in touch with the maintenance technician and have him share his knowledge of the particular instrument. This is a step many don't do to their lasting regret. The tech can assess wear and tear on the instrument which may not be obvious to the ordinary observer.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen bhcordova
  • Great suggestion, Charles. You mean the maintenance technician who works for the company from which we may purchase this instrument?

I did ask to be in touch with the previous organ owner as well, if they can locate him.
  • francis
    I would be hesitant to purchase a used digital
  • Francis, what are you reasons, may I ask?
  • CharlesW
    If it is deemed in good shape, you get a reasonable price on it and can use it for a number of years, go for it. I have owned a Rodgers at home for 30 years. Even when new, it didn't have the quality of construction the Allens had. Still doesn't.
  • Sound wise, the Rodgers Infinity series are hands down the best electronic organs every produced.
  • CharlesW
    I always thought the Rodgers sounded better. Now that the company has been sold, I don't know what is happening with them. Our local Rodgers dealer folded and I think the nearest is a couple hundred miles away. Sometimes an organ is only as good as the service you can get to keep it playing.
  • Thank you all for your input and personal opinions. Greatly appreciated!
  • francis
    I just wouldn’t pay a lot for a used digital... 1k perhaps
  • ServiamScores
    I played on a Rodgers of this ilk that was installed c. 2013 and was very happy with it. The installation job was botched (where the speakers were placed) so that was a little odd, but the sounds that it made were quite nice and it was very flexible and well-appointed, especially when you consider all the voice pallet stops available that can be assigned to pistons. Frankly, I'd love to have that instrument again as right now I'm stuck with a wretched analogue organ that was installed in 1970 and is dying.

I can also say that I recently visited some hybrid Rodgers installations in Chicago this past year as we considered our options for our church, well aware that our current organ is barely powering on. I can tell you that by and large, the Rodgers sound pretty good (not to sound partisan, but better than any Allen I've ever heard or played, including a fancy Diane Bish edition with pipe facade and everything). In one installation you could go up and down the scales of certain ranks and you absolutely couldn't tell where the split point was from pipes to digital extensions. It was impressive. So with the right installer and voicer (please, if you get this organ from that other church, pay to have someone come and voice it to your room!) they can indeed sound very nice.
  • Serviam Scores - Thank you for your in-depth opinion on the matter. Assuming we purchase this instrument, the dealer will install speakers, woofers and also take care of voicing in our church. Again, thank you!
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • ServiamScores
    I think, by and large, their samples are indeed quite tenable. Their instruments are also flexible as you can change which of the voice pallet stops default (ie- you can have the Montre 8 default instead of the Prinzipal 8 if you like it better, without changing the whole organ to be "french" or "german" etc.) All of the extra voice pallet stops that are recallable from the little dialed menu can be assigned to the midi a or midi b pistons on any manual at any time, and these can be called back separately with each general piston. In other words, you can have a party horn on the choir midi a on general 1 and then a 4' flute on midi a for general 2. Any of those special stops can also be voiced (bright/dark & volume and octave shift) each time you assign them. It's verrrrrrrry flexible if you're willing to take the time to program it to your liking. I used to prepare for two whole hours each weekend just setting up the pistons to do text painting during the hymns. It was good fun and very effective. This system also allows you to do fun things with those midi voices, like taking the beautiful sound of the english horn and turning it up to a pseudo solo horn but keep the character of english horn. Purists would scoff, no doubt, but for the average layman in the pew it's just another nice sound. You can also use the pedal midi pistons to copy down a stop at 2' pitch, for instance, so you can solo a melody with your feet in the treble octaves. I once turned on the carillon bells and shifted them up to a nice octave and did an english peel in the pedals while playing a large introduction to Joy to the World for Christmas. It was very effective and people loooved it. In short, these are very flexible instruments if you're willing to put in the leg work to get the most out of them.
  • I definitely enjoy the voice palette on the Rodgers at my church. It is older than the one we are discussing here, but it is still a very nice system. For example, one of our organists prefers a more chiffy German sound. I prefer a smoother French sound. We can both have the sound we want. It does take some work to set the voices you want, but it's highly worth it in my opinion.
  • CharlesW
    Didn't know we now have a Rodgers store, just one for Allen. Will look into that. There is an independent guy here who is something of an electronics whiz and he will service them, if asked. He's hard to get hold of, as I understand. As for the company, now that Roland has been sold to Johannus, I have no idea what they are even manufacturing.

You wouldn't mind providing the name of that dealer, would you?

[Edited per Guidelines.--admin]
  • Thank you again for all the additional personal opinions, comments and recommendations. Very helpful.

Charles W: We have been very happy with our first purchase for our mission church. I deal with Ken Brown, Vice Pres. of Daffer Church Organs. They sell home organs as well. They are located in Jessup, MD. Call Ken directly at 410-340-7701 and please let him know I highly recommend the company and Ken. Good luck!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I am in East TN and we were without a Rodgers dealer for some time. Even though another poster indicated a dealership here, a Google search brings up the long-time Allen dealer and an independent with no brands specified. I know the Allen dealer (purchased a church piano from him before I retired) and will see what he knows next time I am in that area.

I have had a Rodgers home instrument for a number of years, so they are not unfamiliar. In fact, I may start looking for something new in the next couple of years. Many new features on those instruments that I would like to have.