Bilingual Exultet (English / Spanish, free PDF)
  • ServiamScores
    Greetings all,
    I wanted to share this PDF just in case it can save someone else the hassle. Our parish is bilingual and the priests decided it was best to chant the exultet half english/ half spanish because it is so long. We will provide both texts in full in a worship aid for those moments when they cannot hear their mother tongue.

I have no interest in discussing the liturgical merits (or demerits, as the case may be) of taking this approach. This is what we are doing, regardless. That said, I engraved the requested material for our priests and want to share it here in case it may be useful to anyone else. The language switches every second-third line (or rather, complete thought).

I'm sharing two pdf's: one is a normal letter-sized PDF, the other is a booklet format that prints nicely if you do 11x17 double-sided folded in half.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Very nice. This reminds me how how much more gracious it would be to start page 6's "dis - pels wickedness" with an upbeat (7 98765 67 7 7) instead of ICEL's version, and also make me curious whether the Spanish has a single approved pointing as well as how it handles the phases beginning on d.
  • ServiamScores
    I referenced the Spanish missal and kept it how they had it, although I didn’t agree with some of how it was set, particularly a few spots approaching cadential formulas, such as the 4th line down on page 3 “y derraman-do”. That happens a few times and I would have preferred to wait to switch to the b until “su”. But on the off chance that our priest knew the Spanish version well (he’s fully bilingual due to his dual heritage, but I think Spanish is actually his “primary” language?), I didn’t want to trip him up by tweaking it.
    Thanked by 2Richard Mix CHGiffen
  • denroden
    A few years later, this post came in handy! A deacon from another parish came to me for Exultet training, and he has been asked to sing in English and Spanish. Many thanks for doing the work for us!
  • ServiamScores
    You're welcome! If you happen to find any errors, do let me know and I'll fix them.

By the way, here's a version from 2 years ago where I added faint grey "custos" as well as a few corrections.
    Thanked by 1denroden
  • hayleylily
    Hi there — where is this PDF link? I’m looking for a bilingual English/Spanish Exultet. Thank you!
  • ServiamScores
    Click on the attachment right above your post.